GOP Governance As A Business.

Dec 2010
Virginia
A favored cliché, of the political right, is that the government should be run like a business. They loudly cast vituperations upon the public sector, while extolling the virtues of business. Well, if the actions of the current Republican incumbents are any indication of which business we’re discussing (as a model), I’d guess it would have to be Enron. Why Enron you might ask? I suggest that Enron is their model because it’s a perfect metaphor for Republican governance: A very few, wealthy, people benefit at the expense of the many, they reap huge profits by creating and leveraging a crisis, they caused a massive amount of harm on the economy, they injected massive uncertainty into the marketplace, and like Enron’s corporate officers they had a duty to manage responsibly and solve difficult problems, but in the end, they couldn’t even be trusted to pay the bills and keep the lights on.

Rather than post a long dissertation on this concept, I am going to break it down into smaller chunks to afford an opportunity for discussion rather than turning the OP into a reading exercise. The question, I would ask, initially, is this: Is saying that Enron is the business model, the right is inflicting on our national governance, an apt analogy? Is it metaphorically suitable? If not, why not?

Jul 2011
Detention Block AA-23
Going to ignore your entire loaded scenario to explain the root of the statement to you in a concise manner.

When a business does poorly, it makes cuts, or it even goes out of business.
When a government agency does poorly, it gets more money, and more staff.

Government bureaucracy always grows.

For the past umpteen years (1956 was the most recent exception), government debt always grows. There is never a surplus, only excess expense.

This is mismanagement. Every budget submitted with deficit spending is failure.

Reactions: Mordent and Jets
Dec 2010
Virginia
Going to ignore your entire loaded scenario to explain the root of the statement to you in a concise manner.

When a business does poorly, it makes cuts, or it even goes out of business.
When a government agency does poorly, it gets more money, and more staff.

Government bureaucracy always grows.

For the past umpteen years (1956 was the most recent exception), government debt always grows. There is never a surplus, only excess expense.

This is mismanagement. Every budget submitted with deficit spending is failure.
Except, as we saw with the bailout of the banks it just isn't so.
It also isn't so for the Nuclear Power industry.

So, other than a deflection, what have you got?