GOP lawmakers, business groups slam Trump's Mexico tariff threat

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
GOP lawmakers, business groups slam Trump's Mexico tariff threat
They warned that making the move next month as announced would jeopardize ratification of the USMCA trade deal.
By Rebecca Shabad

"WASHINGTON — Several Republicans in Congress and major business groups on Friday slammed President Donald Trump’s threat to impose a 5 percent tariff on all Mexican goods starting next month, warning that the move would hurt both the U.S. economy and the USMCA trade deal's chances of congressional approval."
"If the president goes through with this, I’m afraid progress to get this trade agreement across the finish line will be stifled," said Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, in a statement Friday. "While I support the need for comprehensive border security and a permanent fix to illegal immigration, this isn’t the right path forward. I’m asking the president to reconsider, and for Democrats to work with us to find a solution to the humanitarian crisis at our southern border.”
"In a letter to Trump Thursday night, Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said that his country would not retaliate, but suggested that the new policy would not be effective, saying that, “Social problems don’t get resolved with duties or coercive measures.”

#################################################################################
Many are condemning the Trump deal to place tariffs on Mexico's products. They can clearly see the handwriting on the wall of what will happen to the U.S. economy and USMCA if this goes through. It will not be a good scenario and Trump needs to go back and rethink this process through more carefully and find a more amicable solution.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
they need to take the power away from the president. He's abusing it and never should have been given it in the first place. If they refuse to impeach him the least they could do is assert their rights as a co-equal branch of the government.