GOP mulls vote to Abolish ICE

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
I'm guessing this will depend upon the individual politician. It would appear this is something supported by a sizable proportion of the Democratic base

based on the support it has with so many Democratic politicians.

These Democrats want to abolish ICE
Even the sponsors of the bill say they'd vote against it on the floor (see earlier post in the thread).

A sizable portion of the Dem base is outraged by the Trump administration's border policy. No one wants to abolish ICE without replacing it with something else--this bill doesn't do that.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Except they will nearly all vote against such a bill.
True. But its kind of dumb in some ways, as those same candidates are out on the campaign trail running on abolishing ICE. Those 3 reps who originally sponsored the bill are out campaigning on it. So we really dont need a vote, just see which ones are campaigning on it. Sen Gillibrand from NY has been quite outspoken on saying she wants it abolished and likened it to a terrorist organization.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-echo-progresive-calls-abolish-ice/746694002/

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
I'm guessing this will depend upon the individual politician. It would appear this is something supported by a sizable proportion of the Democratic base

based on the support it has with so many Democratic politicians.

These Democrats want to abolish ICE
But when you read the quotes, you see a lot of things like this, acknowledging the problem - but saying that ICE (in its current form) is not the solution.

"We need to set up a commission that looks at the alternatives to ICE..."

"I think there's no question that we've got to critically re-examine ICE and its role and the way that it is being administered and the work it is doing,"

"If there are elements that work, we can maintain and strengthen those aspects."

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Even the sponsors of the bill say they'd vote against it on the floor (see earlier post in the thread).

A sizable portion of the Dem base is outraged by the Trump administration's border policy. No one wants to abolish ICE without replacing it with something else--this bill doesn't do that.
Well some dont want to replace ICE, they just want border patrol to cover it not a separate organization.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
True. But its kind of dumb in some ways, as those same candidates are out on the campaign trail running on abolishing ICE. Those 3 reps who originally sponsored the bill are out campaigning on it. So we really dont need a vote, just see which ones are campaigning on it. Sen Gillibrand from NY has been quite outspoken on saying she wants it abolished and likened it to a terrorist organization.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-echo-progresive-calls-abolish-ice/746694002/
This doesn't affect Gillibrand because this isn't a bill in the Senate. I'm pretty sure the bill's sponsors are in no fear of losing a general election in their districts. The candidates who are not in the House will have no roll in any voting. Anyone voting for the measure can message it by saying that there was no replacement in the legislation and they don't actually favor eliminating all the things ICE does.

This is only a winner for the GOP if some Dems vote for the bill, which they won't. If it goes down 412-0, what have they accomplished?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
This doesn't affect Gillibrand because this isn't a bill in the Senate. I'm pretty sure the bill's sponsors are in no fear of losing a general election in their districts. The candidates who are not in the House will have no roll in any voting. Anyone voting for the measure can message it by saying that there was no replacement in the legislation and they don't actually favor eliminating all the things ICE does.

This is only a winner for the GOP if some Dems vote for the bill, which they won't. If it goes down 412-0, what have they accomplished?
Nothing but thats what they do. Congress is very inefficient and poor at this. Nobody with half a brain is going to fall for it. The media has "outed" those who want to abolish ICE and others blatantly put it on their websites. If the voters want to know its all out there. A vote is dumb.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
This is a move to get Democrats on record as voting for the abolition of ICE. This will allow them to reinforce the idea the Democrats want open borders.
Yes, I understand what they're trying to do and I explained how I would respond if I was in Congress.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
You can do anything you want. If you're a Democrat, your bill might not even be assigned to a committee. That's not a useful suggestion, unfortunately.
It keeps the Republicans from getting what they want if all the Democrats went along with it.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
It keeps the Republicans from getting what they want if all the Democrats went along with it.
Its more than that, it sets up another divide for democrats. Progressives are out there rallying to abolish ICE, we had a rally here this weekend with various Occupy groups. Moderates just want it reformed. If they can try to set up a divide where progressives and moderate dems disagree, it can work to the GOP advantage. It happened in 2016 and it can happen again. GOP is aware of this and has been for years, issues like immigration and gun control have worked to the GOP advantage and they hope it will again.