GOP Senators introduce a bill that would allow victims of sanctuary city policies to sue the cities where the crimes occurred.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
How would you prove culpability by the state? It's the states fault that's crime was committed?
That is, of course, the problem - demonstrating proximate causation. Any such suit could be dismissed for having failed to state a claim upon which relief could be granted. See Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Rule 12(b)(6).

Jun 2014
United States
Agreed in principle.

If the city wants that policy, they should accept the responsibility that comes with it.

What responsibility comes with being a "sanctuary city"? Is it your opinion that the government of a sanctuary city is liable for any crime committed within their jurisdiction by an undocumented immigrant?

If so, why wouldn't any and all city governments be held liable for crimes committed by any of their citizens?

Jets

Feb 2011
New York
What responsibility comes with being a "sanctuary city"? Is it your opinion that the government of a sanctuary city is liable for any crime committed within their jurisdiction by an undocumented immigrant?

If so, why wouldn't any and all city governments be held liable for crimes committed by any of their citizens?
Because the other cities are not providing sanctuary for those who entered the country illegally. Any city that chooses an active role by granting sanctuary should have an extra added burden of liability.

In my opinion.

Jun 2014
United States
Because the other cities are not providing sanctuary for those who entered the country illegally. Any city that chooses an active role by granting sanctuary should have an extra added burden of liability.

In my opinion.

Sounds insane to me, but we're all free to believe whatever we want, I suppose.

Reactions: the bull59