GOP source who regularly talks to Trump: “Bad omen for impeachment,” ...

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
In fariness, I don't think Kentucky is really a great indicator. I keep hearing people say it's "as red as it gets" but of the last 10 governors, only two have been republican, and this one only barely got elected even though his dad was a very popular democrat governor.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
In fariness, I don't think Kentucky is really a great indicator. I keep hearing people say it's "as red as it gets" but of the last 10 governors, only two have been republican, and this one only barely got elected even though his dad was a very popular governor.
Likewise Virginia isnt an indicator. Its been predicted to become a blue state. Now sure maybe Trump hastened that, but it was still going blue. High tech moved in and more people have college educations. It was enviable. In fact Cook Political Report predicted this several years ago, that by 2020 VA would be fully blue. As for KY, the GOP actually won more seats at the state level than they had so its actually redder except for Bevin. He was the most unpopular governor who railed against teachers and police unions. Its no wonder he lost.

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Likewise Virginia isnt an indicator. Its been predicted to become a blue state. Now sure maybe Trump hastened that, but it was still going blue. High tech moved in and more people have college educations. It was enviable. In fact Cook Political Report predicted this several years ago, that by 2020 VA would be fully blue. As for KY, the GOP actually won more seats at the state level than they had so its actually redder except for Bevin. He was the most unpopular governor who railed against teachers and police unions. Its no wonder he lost.

And that's the thing. Beshear Jr. only squeaked by and his dad was re-elected governor while implementing ACA in Kentucky. If there had really been a Trump effect, I would think Beshear would have easily won. Especially considering what a complete moron Bevin is.

Reactions: Madeline
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
And that's the thing. Beshear Jr. only squeaked by and his dad was re-elected governor while implementing ACA in Kentucky. If there had really been a Trump effect, I would think Beshear would have easily won. Especially considering what a complete moron Bevin is.
The Beshear family is very respected in KY. Bevin was considered a carpet bagger originally since he has no roots there. He was the third GOP governor elected in KY since WWII. Yes Beshear should have won by a lot more. I actually think the Louisiana gubernatorial election next week might mean more.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
In fariness, I don't think Kentucky is really a great indicator. I keep hearing people say it's "as red as it gets" but of the last 10 governors, only two have been republican, and this one only barely got elected even though his dad was a very popular democrat governor.
I think what Republicans are looking at is his strong showing in rural communities and high voter turn out . Bevins actually got more votes than he did when he won his last election . But still lost because Beshear offset that margin with a higher voter turn out in heavily populated rural areas . It shows the same trends that put Dems in the majority in the House . Trump is turning off suburban voters that Republicans need to win elections.

Reactions: Madeline

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
I think what Republicans are looking at is his strong showing in rural communities and high voter turn out . Bevins actually got more votes than he did when he won his last election . But still lost because Beshear offset that margin with a higher voter turn out in heavily populated rural areas . It shows the same trends that put Dems in the majority in the House . Trump is turning off suburban voters that Republicans need to win elections.
Well, I'm not saying it's nothing, but it doesn't seem like enough to spike the ball over is all I'm saying.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Thats true for Bevin but it looks like many in rural areas voted for Beshear but then voted for downballot republicans too. So it was a mixed bag. Dems actually lost seats in the election yesterday. That shouldnt have happened.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Thats true for Bevin but it looks like many in rural areas voted for Beshear but then voted for downballot republicans too. So it was a mixed bag. Dems actually lost seats in the election yesterday. That shouldnt have happened.
I'd like you to do me a favor , though .;)
Could you post a good source for information on that ?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I'd like you to do me a favor , though .;)
Could you post a good source for information on that ?
GOP won the KY SOS seat defeating the democrat.

"Republican lawyer Michael G. Adams was elected Kentucky secretary of state on Tuesday, defeating Democrat Heather French Henry with about 52% of the vote, according to unofficial returns. Other statewide GOP candidates in Kentucky won by comfortable margins. "

Reactions: the watchman