Gov Cuomo: America was never that great

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
This is one of those moments where he must be looking back and thinking, "wait let me clarify!"

Gov. Andrew Cuomo blasted Donald Trump during a bill-signing ceremony on Wednesday, twisting the president’s signature slogan as he made a point about the need for greater women’s equality.

“We’re not going to make America great again — it was never that great,” said Cuomo, a Democrat seeking a third term. “We have not reached greatness. We will reach greatness when every American is fully engaged. We will reach greatness when discrimination and stereotyping against women — 51 percent of our population — is gone and every woman’s full potential is realized and unleashed.”

Republicans immediately fired back at Cuomo.

“America, with its imperfections, has always been great,” said Dutchess County Executive Marc Molinaro, the GOP gubernatorial nominee. “Our people, our principles, and our promises have been a beacon light to the world for 242 years and counting. This governor is so determined to distract voters from his failed policies and corrupted administration that he’s willing to dismiss the steady, determined march of the American people, making and remaking the greatness of America. Mr. Cuomo owes the nation an apology. He should be ashamed of himself.”

https://www.politico.com/states/new.../15/cuomo-america-was-never-that-great-560291

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Bad messaging, for sure.
I know, its one of those things I can hear over and over again just as a soundbyte. I kind of have a feeling this was a poor way to be seen as "moving left" in his race against Cynthia Nixon. She has been saying he is republican lite and loves corporations.

Nov 2010
This is one of those moments where he must be looking back and thinking, "wait let me clarify!"

Gov. Andrew Cuomo blasted Donald Trump during a bill-signing ceremony on Wednesday, twisting the president’s signature slogan as he made a point about the need for greater women’s equality.

“We’re not going to make America great again — it was never that great,” said Cuomo, a Democrat seeking a third term. “We have not reached greatness. We will reach greatness when every American is fully engaged. We will reach greatness when discrimination and stereotyping against women — 51 percent of our population — is gone and every woman’s full potential is realized and unleashed.”

“America, with its imperfections, has always been great,” said Dutchess County Executive Marc Molinaro, the GOP gubernatorial nominee. “Our people, our principles, and our promises have been a beacon light to the world for 242 years and counting. This governor is so determined to distract voters from his failed policies and corrupted administration that he’s willing to dismiss the steady, determined march of the American people, making and remaking the greatness of America. Mr. Cuomo owes the nation an apology. He should be ashamed of himself.”

https://www.politico.com/states/new.../15/cuomo-america-was-never-that-great-560291
have to say, I agree (I know, right wingers are going to blow a gasket). We love beating our chest and claiming we are greatest country. In principle and in theory, I guess you can say that, but not in practice. Look at our entire history, filled with war, violence, slavery, discrimination, segregation, even to this day we have to continue to fight for people to not be discriminated against, veterans and poor treated like shit, etc. Even in the golden age, WWII to the 70's, so many people were treated like absolute garbage, there was tons of injustices, we threw american citizens in prison camps for crying out loud

And don't even get me started about today, there is very little good about this country these day
1. Ridiculous poverty rates
2. insane wealth disparities
3. Constant war mongering and killing brown people throughout the world
4. Appalling number of imprisoned (land of the free my ass) many of them minorities
5 Disgusting over commercialization of everything, every damn place has the same stupid chains

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
valid location
I know, its one of those things I can hear over and over again just as a soundbyte. I kind of have a feeling this was a poor way to be seen as "moving left" in his race against Cynthia Nixon. She has been saying he is republican lite and loves corporations.
Everything he said was fine except for the first sentence. "America was never great" is a poor way to run for office in America. There are a lot of ways to finesse that differently.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Everything he said was fine except for the first sentence. "America was never great" is a poor way to run for office in America. There are a lot of ways to finesse that differently.
Am thinking it was something deliberately done to get attention and then clarify. Does have a poor optic though. Imagine the right wing media machine will be using that in ads all over by November. "Democrats hate America..."

Jan 2016
Colorado

Yes, bad messaging by Governor Cuomo, to be sure, but hasn't anyone here noticed that Marc Molinaro is also in blatant disagreement with Donald Trump??

Donald Trump's slogan, after all is: Make America Great AGAIN!

Which implies that recently, America has not been great. Molinaro is saying "America....has ALWAYS been great".

He should take up his argument with President Trump.

Sep 2014
United States
Funny how people from all around the globe are literally dying trying to get to the USA, but it is a shithole in the minds of Dimwingers.

Nov 2013
NY
have to say, I agree (I know, right wingers are going to blow a gasket). We love beating our chest and claiming we are greatest country. In principle and in theory, I guess you can say that, but not in practice. Look at our entire history, filled with war, violence, slavery, discrimination, segregation, even to this day we have to continue to fight for people to not be discriminated against, veterans and poor treated like shit, etc. Even in the golden age, WWII to the 70's, so many people were treated like absolute garbage, there was tons of injustices, we threw american citizens in prison camps for crying out loud

And don't even get me started about today, there is very little good about this country these day
1. Ridiculous poverty rates
2. insane wealth disparities
3. Constant war mongering and killing brown people throughout the world
4. Appalling number of imprisoned (land of the free my ass) many of them minorities
5 Disgusting over commercialization of everything, every damn place has the same stupid chains
Doesn't matter if Cuomo is right or not... the US and it's citizens do not have - in it's big majority - an objective self-reflection, and will not be able to determine that racial segregation and "whites only" signs up until and into the 1960's, means that this country was NOT great for all the time up until then, period.

Don't forget, most of the folks beating Trump's "MAGA" drum, want to go back to exactly THAT time period, the golden 50's.. as the time they think America was great... white domination, white middle class gains, etc. That's all they're driven by, that's what keeps them going, their fear of becoming just the same as any other ethnic group.