Great Britain knows hockey

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Great Britain beat France at the world hockey championship, stunning the opponents, the crowd, themselves, and pretty much anyone who knew they were playing. All while impressing the locals with their team song "we are shit", and their raucous heckling of US superstar patrick Kane.

I'll let the British write their own press because nothing could beat this BBC recap.

"But Robert Farmer equalised to take the match to extra time and Ben Davies grabbed the winner in added time to keep Britain up and send France out."

For non-hockey fans, it's not a "match", there's no such thing as "added time", but here's hoping this gets some British kids in skates.

Honestly, homicidal white people with no teeth.... This sport was MADE for British sports fans.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
There's some countries that just don't do as well in international sports as their size and economy and world influence would lead you to expect.

Britain is one. India. Germany used to be one but they're on fire now.

Reactions: The Man
Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
UK ice hockey? I didn't know we even had rinks anymore! True to form, we let the French get 3 goals up before coming back to win! The British goalie (neatly dodging the keeper/tender minefield) even made a world record number of saves (33)!

GB beat France in OT to stay up!

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
Really? I'm surprised to hear even that.
Yep - world champions in the 1930s at least once.

There's some countries that just don't do as well in international sports as their size and economy and world influence would lead you to expect.

Britain is one. India. Germany used to be one but they're on fire now.
India, despite it's enormous size, is poor. Still, they're competitive at their preferred sports (cricket, field hockey, shooting).

Not sure where you're coming from with Germany - they're a massive sporting nation. That they're not very good at basketball?

Great Britain are 4th the all time Olympic medals table, 3rd if you only look at the summer olympics. Just looking more recently, they were 2nd in 2016, 3rd in 2012, 4th in 2008.

I think your opinion of who does well in international sports may be distorted by your focus on the weird niche sports Canadians know how to play. :)

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
They invented football/soccer too, supposedly.
The form of football called 'soccer' in the USA and Australia, but known as football in the rest of the world, certainly originated in 1863 in the UK, but various forms of handling a ball in a competitive game date back to Roman times, and to ancient China. They did not depend upon pedestrian dexterity, so could not legitimately be regarded as the forerunners of football. Australian Rules, Rugby League, Rugby Union, and American Gridiron, are variations of the game known as Rugby, which began during a game of football, when William Webb Ellis, a pupil at Rugby School, picked up the ball and ran with it.