Greatest Rifle of World War 2

Jan 2018
Houston, TX
I recall reading about some Russian merchant sailors, couple years back, armed with ancient SKSs and Mosins

And they fought off a bunch of Somali pirates with those, no joke :D

Though, I would also add that, given the average condition of weapons usually carried by the Somalis, those guys actually probably had the advantage in reliable firepower lol
That story of the Russians knocking off the pirates circulated around here too. The Merchant Marines that come into the Port of Houston swear by it. In fact, a few prefer to make long shots before the pirates get close enough for the ARs or AKs.

Jan 2018
Houston, TX
More modern. Browning. BLR. Popular out west because of the flat trajectory. My dad has one as a deer rifle. Traded it in for a shotgun and bought a cheap .308 since he quit deer hunting. I have a CZ 550 myself in .308. But I was just emphasizing that I don’t think it would be too hard to fend off Somali pirates with even a lever gun. Especially something flat shooting.
CZ 550 in .308; really nice! Trying to chose one but I don't do well with bolt actions; I am right-handed and left eyed.
I am a big fan of CZ pistols.

Jan 2018
Houston, TX
Early M-16's had a few bugs to work out. Some of that was ammo issues.

The reason for Stoner’s concern was that the change of powders destroyed most of the qualities he had built into his rifle. With ball powder, the M-16 looked better on the Army’s new specifications sheets but was worse in operation. There were two problems. One was “fouling”—a powder residue on the inside of the gas-tube chamber that eventually made the rifle jam. The AR-15 had been designed so that its gas port stayed close through the combustion of the powder, but that was for a different powder. The new ball powder was inherently dirtier, and it burned longer; it was still burned when the gas port opened, so it burned into the gas tube. The other effect of ball powder was to increase the rifle’s “cyclic rate.” The AR-15, with all its interlocking mechanical cycles, had been designed to fire between 750 and 800 rounds per minute.
Weren't most of the issues solved with the gate?

Apr 2019
Texas
LOL...had to do it in front of my entire recruit training platoon, June 1968 at MCRD San Diego.
Loooong time ago...
I was in army at the same time you were in the Marines. Basic training Ft Bliss TX Apr 1968. Then FT Sill OK for artillery, where it was OK to use the term "gun" :). My final 3 months in the Army was at a Marine base my unit was assigned to.

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
I was in army at the same time you were in the Marines. Basic training Ft Bliss TX Apr 1968. Then FT Sill OK for artillery, where it was OK to use the term "gun" :). My final 3 months in the Army was at a Marine base my unit was assigned to.
Well, thank you for your service.
My best friend was assigned an 0811 (artillary) MOS in the Marines. He served with the 11th Marines, an artillary Regiment called the cannon-cockers, part of a 105mm gun crew.