Greenpeace to receive $3 million in settlement with Russia

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - Greenpeace will receive 2.7 million euros ($3 million) from Russia under a settlement reached between the Dutch state and Moscow, the environmental group said on Friday.

The agreement should end years of legal battles following the seizure by Russian authorities of a Dutch-flagged Greenpeace vessel, the Arctic Sunrise, in 2013 and the arrest of 30 people aboard.

Russian agents captured the Arctic Sunrise in international waters after a protest against an oil platform. Those on board were detained in Russian prisons for months and released shortly before the 2014 Sochi Olympics.

On Friday, the Dutch Foreign Ministry said it had reached “a full and final settlement”, details of which were confidential.

Dutch Greenpeace activist Faiza Oulahsen, who was imprisoned in Russia for nearly three months in 2013, said the settlement was good news. “Justice has been done, now we can finally close this chapter,” Oulahsen told Reuters.

In July 2017, an international arbitration panel had ordered Moscow to pay the Netherlands more than 5 million euros ($5.6 million) in damages for the events in 2013. Russia did not recognize the tribunal’s findings.

Dutch Foreign Minister Stef Blok said in a letter to parliament that settling the dispute with Russia was important “because the Netherlands has successfully defended the importance of peaceful protest at sea, including in the Arctic”.
Greenpeace to receive $3 million in settlement with Russia - Reuters

The Arctic Sunrise was indeed in the epicenter of a tense confrontation with Russian authorities in the Arctic, where it's crew of Canadians and Europeans, and a group of local Russian environmentalists, attempted to protest Gazprom's dirty drilling up there.

They used a number of Zodiac boats, with "Arctic Sunrise" as mother-ship.

One group of activists attempted to obstruct the tanker "Anna Akhmatova", by chaining themselves to her anchor line; as they bobbled up and down right underneath the huge vessel, the tanker's crew tried to drive them off with a fire-hose

Another group, meanwhile, went straight for the even huger "Prirazlomnaya" oil rig nearby and scaled up it's sides!

The workers on the rig also turned water on them (and possibly threw objects at them too, according to some latter accounts), which is why they set up these tents, for some kind of shelter and protection lol
This why I kinda admire these folks, imagine, to go through things like this, simply for what you believe in...

Anyway, later, these masked guys in camos showed up, aggressive guys, they cut the Greenpeace people's ropes and chased them away from the rig and tanker, at least one of them even pulling a gun on them at one point
Reportedly - FSB; though Gazprom also has own private armed security force, could have been them too.

The "Arctic Sunrise" was then told to leave Russian water immediately. There is a debate to this day whether or not they complied. Russia says they did not.

Regardless, this Russian Coast Guard warship shadowed them and, at one point, apparently, according to the activists, fired warning shots across their bow!

Then, heavily armed troops (reportedly - FSB special forces) landed on the "Sunrise" off a helicopter, arrested everyone, and took over the ship

The Coast Guard took the ship to Murmansk

All the activists were put on trial in Russia for piracy, no joke

But the foreigners were later released, after diplomatic negotiations, as was the ship. The Russian activists actually ended up doing some time, however, I believe... They all, all the activists from the ship, spent months in custody in Russia, of course, as the article says.

Seems the legal brouhaha about it all is finally over. Though, we will see if Russia actually pays up. I have my serious doubts...

May 2012
By the wall
If that was my ship I would have just raised the anchor after they were all attached and been done with it.

Oooops

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
If that was my ship I would have just raised the anchor after they were all attached and been done with it.

Oooops
Because there would have been less of a stink about them KILLING a bunch of foreigners, rather than throwing them in jail?

May 2012
By the wall
Because there would have been less of a stink about them KILLING a bunch of foreigners, rather than throwing them in jail?
You cuff yourself to an anchor of a massive ship like that you are playing with your life already.

I mean that is just pure idiocy.

That anchor chain isn't static you know, it moves up and down with the swells.

One big swell and their arms would have been ripped off anyways.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
You cuff yourself to an anchor of a massive ship like that you are playing with your life already.

I mean that is just pure idiocy.

That anchor chain isn't static you know, it moves up and down with the swells.

One big swell and their arms would have been ripped off anyways.
Yeah, it was a very dangerous stunt, no question...

But, if the crew of the ship deliberately raised the chain and hurt them, they'd be liable.

I have an old friend, a former schoolmate from Moscow, he now works at a Russian PMC (Private Military Company) specializing in protecting the Motherland's commercial ships from pirates out there around Somalia and such.

It's a total mess, btw, maritime security over there.

Some shipping firms have professional security on board, armed and equipped like a decent military force

While others, poorer ones, just issue their regular crewmen fucking WWII rifles, tell them good luck, and send them on their way

:D

Well, anyhow, from what he told me, legally, what they do is very complicated. Technically, they are not even allowed to shoot pirates until, at least, they forcefully boarded their ship! This is apparently according to international maritime laws.

Of course my friend and his group are Russians, and, like most Russians, they simply don't give a shit about any laws lmao

But, for European and other Western security firms, this is a big issue.

And that's with actual armed pirates, not some Greenpeace activists...

May 2012
By the wall
I think that's unfair.

The military will sink your boat if you get too close.

Well that's why I don't take my boat too far out there, I stay in safe waters.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
No witness, no crime. At least in Russia. I’m surprised nobody was killed TBH.
There would be lots of witnesses.

Greenpeace always widely publicize all their such actions, in part probably exactly for safety reasons, with broad media coverage and real time online broadcasting with webcams, etc.

There were people all over the world watching that shit go down, man...

That's 21st century for ya :)