Greta Thunberg suggests protesters should break the law

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Greta Thunberg has told Extinction Rebellion (XR) protesters that they should consider breaking the law so they can continue their demonstrations.

Police this week imposed a section 14 order on XR, meaning any group of two or more people linked to the group’s Autumn Uprising is banned. The move, which was taken after Londoners began to grow irritated by the disruption on the streets, was swiftly condemned by human rights groups and London Mayor Sadiq Khan.

Now, teenage climate change campaigner Greta has suggested XR protestors continue on regardless.

She said: “If standing up against the climate and ecological breakdown and for humanity is against the rules then the rules must be broken.”

Her comments come on the day that commuters at Canning Town angrily fought back against XR protesters who had climbed on top of a tube during rush hour. Video footage from the scene showed people on the platform pull protesters down by their feet, leading to scuffles in the crowd and eight arrests.

XR were condemned for their tactics and no organisers have said they will "take stock" over whether to continue with future disruption to the transport network.

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
Greta Thunberg has told Extinction Rebellion (XR) protesters that they should consider breaking the law so they can continue their demonstrations.

Police this week imposed a section 14 order on XR, meaning any group of two or more people linked to the group’s Autumn Uprising is banned. The move, which was taken after Londoners began to grow irritated by the disruption on the streets, was swiftly condemned by human rights groups and London Mayor Sadiq Khan.

Now, teenage climate change campaigner Greta has suggested XR protestors continue on regardless.

She said: “If standing up against the climate and ecological breakdown and for humanity is against the rules then the rules must be broken.”

Her comments come on the day that commuters at Canning Town angrily fought back against XR protesters who had climbed on top of a tube during rush hour. Video footage from the scene showed people on the platform pull protesters down by their feet, leading to scuffles in the crowd and eight arrests.

XR were condemned for their tactics and no organisers have said they will "take stock" over whether to continue with future disruption to the transport network.

The article does not mention which specific laws she thinks people should break.

Even the XR protestors are saying that climbing on the Tube was probably a bad idea.

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
A police blanket ban on protest, and people being stopped in the street and asked for ID is much too right wing for most Britons, and should be opposed.

Reactions: jacobfitcher
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
The article does not mention which specific laws she thinks people should break.

Even the XR protestors are saying that climbing on the Tube was probably a bad idea.
Yea that struck a lot of people here in the US. Protesting workers riding the subway??? We should be so lucky in the US that people would take the subway to work!

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
Yea that struck a lot of people here in the US. Protesting workers riding the subway??? We should be so lucky in the US that people would take the subway to work!
No, I get why people were frustrated by it. Sometimes in LA you will have protestors shutting down freeways. Talk about pissing people off. And in NYC - yeah, that would not go over well either.

But if she is talking about "minor" things that most protestor's do, then I think that is not so "out of the box" so to say

I just wish the article had clarified what laws she thinks people should break.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
No, I get why people were frustrated by it. Sometimes in LA you will have protestors shutting down freeways. Talk about pissing people off. And in NYC - yeah, that would not go over well either.

But if she is talking about "minor" things that most protestor's do, then I think that is not so "out of the box" so to say

I just wish the article had clarified what laws she thinks people should break.
I have no issue with the protests or whatever but as soon as traffic is impeded its problematic. People need to work or get medical care. They will turn against the cause. They need to be smarter about this. I also saw there were some at airports protesting people flying. If people are spending hard earned money to go on family vacations they shouldnt be forced to miss a flight or a business trip.

Reactions: HayJenn
Nov 2014
North Carolina

This doesn't surprise me in the least, if she grows up to be an "eco-terrorist."

Hopefully in 10 years and after the world actually doesn't end all these people who have been brainwashed by our media into believing in the imminent and apocalyptic doom of "climate change" will wise up and move on to some new crusade these corrupt politicians will trick them into believing.

Reactions: WolfHulk