Group tries "open carry and race" police experiment w/ dramatically different results

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
First, a couple of disclaimers:

I don't know who this group is or what their credibility as filmmakers are, but the video seems to show legitimate information so I'll overlook that. I usually try to be very careful not to use independent (as in not from an established or well-known source) content in my posts here but I've not seen anything like this before. Also, a friend of mine who is a retired Kansas City, Missouri, police officer originally showed it to me so I'm trusting it's not inherently anti-police. For all I know, the police responded as they are depicted in the video based on faulty information from someone else, and not their own determinations.

However, as you'll see, in two different towns in Oregon (I would guess that they wanted to be sure that each police force was "fresh," i.e. not given two similar situations to deal with and thus cause to sense someone was playing them), a white man and a black man take a stroll with an AR-15 slung over their shoulder. The white man, who seems to be a Second Amendment activist on YouTube, calmly responds to a police officer's mostly controlled and professional inquiries before he's allowed to go about his business. The black man, origin/association unknown, is immediately confronted and ordered prone on the spot by an alarmed officer.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions beyond that. There's some debate on the YouTube thread, if you really want to be prodded toward a certain conclusion. Take care, though, it's YouTube...

[video=youtube;BKGZnB41_e4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKGZnB41_e4&feature=youtu.be[/youtube][/video]

metheron

Former Staff
Nov 2006
MI
At about the 2:46 mark they reference a court case in Ohio? Seems like an odd thing to do in oregon.

Anyways, these types of things are meaningless to me. They may have gotten this result on the first try or maybe the tenth. They obviously have different officers. The truck starts up in the video with the black man so we really don't know much of what they are saying to each other.

That being said, I believe its legitimate. Anyone that don't think black men are treated differently by police than white men must have their head in the sand. Root causes is what we need to get to. Is it legitimate? Look at crime rates, violent crimes, etc.......what came first the chicken or the egg type stuff. Discussions that we really aren't allowed to have.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
Wow. The black man is lucky he is still alive.

Sad
The exact reactions involved here make me think of a specific aspect of this issue that isn't well reported.

At times, in cases of divergent police treatment of black people, the trouble can be traced not to the officers, but to whoever summoned them.

Some people will call 911 the moment they see an unfamiliar black person in their neighborhood. It's just a sad fact of life.

If they give faulty or dishonest information to the police, the police might respond with unnecessary escalation.

Amelia

Former Staff
Jun 2014
Wisconsin
From the video comments,

"More African Americans should exercise this right. There's a whole good ole white boy movement doing the same fucking shit it's time more African Americans join in. As long as they keep us all on different sides even those good ole boys will fail at some point. I own guns and i'm not into carrying one but seeing another american get treated like this makes me think we all need to carry just to protect each other "

Yes to this.

Nov 2013
NY
Just yesterday I got a headhunter offer for a new job, would be a great career step, in Portland, Oregon. Wrote back to the recruiter that I appreciate the offer, but timing is bad for relocation at this point.
And, that I would not relocate to an open carry state, no matter what opportunity. Luckily, I am in a position where I can afford principles.

Nov 2014
TN
Just yesterday I got a headhunter offer for a new job, would be a great career step, in Portland, Oregon. Wrote back to the recruiter that I appreciate the offer, but timing is bad for relocation at this point.
And, that I would not relocate to an open carry state, no matter what opportunity. Luckily, I am in a position where I can afford principles.
your loss.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
Oregon has a lot of things going for it. Diversity is not one of them. Portland couldn't possibly be more white, and while I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, I'm not overly eager to move there.

Probably wouldn't turn down an otherwise suitable job over it, but...