Guerrilla warfare in the (Napoleonic) War of 1812

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I will say that since the 1812 Overture is about that part of the war, I don’t forget it myself. I know most don’t know that it wasn’t about America here lol.

But conflict in that era was a nightmare. I wonder how many civil war generals studied these conflicts on Russia?
How many WWI generals failed to study the sieges of the US Civil War?
If all the various generals in different countries (and all the leadership, really) spent time studying yesterday's wars, we wouldn't have tomorrow...

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Do you remember the DeLaurentis production of Waterloo, from the 1970's with Rod Steiger and Christopher Plummer as the protagonists? They used many units from the Soviet army to re-enact scenes of the battle, and it was a massive undertaking.

STOLEN VALOR!!1! fuckin re-enactors... people died for their country wearing that uniform blah blah blah :zany:

Reactions: Blues63 and The Man

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
The British formed a skirmish regiment known as the 95th Riflemen and deployed these troops throughout the Peninsula campaign against Napoleon. They also fought with accolades at Waterloo, and they were known for acting together as a small 'guerrilla' outfits, as opposed to conforming to the usual practices of war. Interestingly, they dressed in 'Lincoln Green' and although it wasn't true camouflage, it came close.

View attachment 21671
Good show! Sharpe's Rifles..

Reactions: The Man

Blues63

Dec 2014
Mustafa
If all the various generals in different countries (and all the leadership, really) spent time studying yesterday's wars, we wouldn't have tomorrow...

The officer academies make a point of studying past battles in order to develop strategies and tactics. Napoleon himself was an expert on Caesar's battle tactics and this knowledge helped him at Marengo and Austerlitz.

Reactions: The Man

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
I haven't seen it. I'll have to look it up.
Sharpe's Rifles is a good tv series. Go see. It might be a bit dated since it's from the early 90s but I think it'll hold up.

edit oh dang, just checked its wiki entry and I don't think I saw the last couple of seasons --> Sharpe's Rifles (TV programme) - Wikipedia
Sweet! One my favorite period action dramas have episodes I havent seen yet!

Reactions: Blues63

Blues63

Dec 2014
Mustafa
Sharpe's Rifles is a good tv series. Go see. It might be a bit dated since it's from the early 90s but I think it'll hold up.

edit oh dang, just checked its wiki entry and I don't think I saw the last couple of seasons --> Sharpe's Rifles (TV programme) - Wikipedia
Sweet! One my favorite period action dramas have episodes I havent seen yet!

I used to mad keen on the Napoleonic Period and I still have a Brown Bess bayonet in storage. A very nice piece. I almost purchased the Eagle off an Imperial Guardsman's shot pouch a few years ago, but I couldn't authenticate it and it was 500AUD. Hmmm....I didn't want to buy a fake and the badges were cast in this period, therefore easily forged.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tedminator

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
I used to mad keen on the Napoleonic Period and I still have a Brown Bess bayonet in storage. A very nice piece.
In that case you may want to turn your brain off a lil bit while watching the Sharpe's series.. a lot of the period equipment used are not very authentic. probably left over movie props from the 60s, especially those used by the background actors.

Reactions: Blues63
Recent Similar Discussions Forum Date
Current Events