[GW:198] Rather than wrestle a girl in the state championship, this high schooler forfeited

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Quotation Violation

Brendan Johnston, left, shakes hands with Angel Rios after he forfeited the third-round consolation match in the Colorado state wrestling meet Saturday in Denver. (Michael Ciaglo)

To Brendan Johnston, it was a simple choice. The 18-year-old senior wrestler from The Classical Academy in Colorado had never competed against a girl, and faced with the option to do so and potentially move one round closer to his goal of winning a state title, he instead decided to forfeit.

For one of the two would-be female opponents Johnston refused to face in the Colorado state wrestling championships last weekend, it was a frustrating outcome. She said she understood and respected his decision but questioned why any wrestler, of any gender, would decide to forfeit in the state tournament after making it so far. Johnston cited personal and religious beliefs for not wanting to wrestle a girl.

“My whole thing is that I’m not a girl wrestler; I’m just a wrestler,” said Jaslynn Gallegos, a senior at Skyview High. “So it kind of doesn’t hurt my feelings, but I do kind of take it to heart.”

More: Rather than wrestle a girl in the state championship, this high schooler forfeited

Jaslynn Gallegos, left, celebrates after pinning opponent Trevor Torrez to win fifth place in the Colorado state wrestling championships Saturday in Denver. (Michael Ciaglo)

My personal opinion? He is a wuss; he was scared of potentially losing to a girl :D

That's what I think.

As far as the overall issue, mixed gender competition in sports, I think it depends. Sometimes, females can succeed in male dominated sports, sure, why the hell not?

Example: unfortunately, there are very few child and junior hockey programs for girls in Russia; as a result, in many regions, the only path for girls who want to play, is to fight to join boys teams and prove themselves there.

In 2017, the "Southern Penguins", from Simferopol (Crimea) kind of made history, winning a regional tournament among kids born in 2009-10, with a girl, Sofia Zelenskaya, playing on their side

The Penguins had to battle just to be allowed to participate in the tournament with a girl goalie. In the end, the league authorities relented, in the face of a broad public support for Sofia among Crimeans and all over Russia, when national media picked up the story :)

And Sofia is not alone; numerous other young girls, like 11 year old goalie Anya Umurzakova from Ulyanovsk

Ulyanovsk has NO girl hockey teams; so she also plays with boys, on same team as her brother Vladimir!

That's among kids though. No integrated adult teams over there, of course... Not YET, anyway :D

But, another case I read about over there, more related to this, Tatyana Dvazhdova, 24 now, from St. Petersburg

Yep, both are same person, that's what years of hand to hand combat training do to what used to be a soft young girl hehe

She wanted to fight in the city's no holds barred MMA leagues; but they don't take females; so she taped over her breatss

got a fake passport, and fights secretly, as "Vladimir Yermolaev"

She has taken on numerous men; and has yet to lose a bout

:D

Women are never to be underestimated, in my personal opinion :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 2018
Plamer Earth
I've done some wrestling long ago. It can be and usually is very brutal. The potential of injuring your opponent is always there. Hurting another boy is not a happy feeling and hurting a girl is too much to ask (IMHO). I think Brendon did the honorable thing. Very sportsman like of him. Kind of a messed up situation for all involved. I'm grateful that this was not an issue back in my day.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
I've done some wrestling long ago. It can be and usually is very brutal. The potential of injuring your opponent is always there. Hurting another boy is not a happy feeling and hurting a girl is too much to ask (IMHO). I think Brendon did the honorable thing. Very sportsman like of him. Kind of a messed up situation for all involved. I'm grateful that this was not an issue back in my day.
I agree 100%

There is no place for this kind of madness in High School Sports.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
In the young man's defense, if he was raised to believe girls aren't to be wrestled with, then backing out was the right thing for him to do.

The one and only place where the issue of gender becomes the most complex is in competitive physical sports. No simple solutions there.

Not for nothing but this girl's body is spectacular. I can't imagine the work and dedication it must have taken to develop those muscles.

I really admire female athletes mostly because their so driven to win they completely abandon any desire to conform to stereotypes about female body image. That's a thing to behold in and of itself, and to me it advances the idea that women are worth more than their appearance, despite public pressure on girls to put their attractiveness to men ahead of their own goals.

Huge leap for womankind. :)

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Nope. You can't decide for females what risks they will accept.

Most will be knocked around by a male at some point in their lives, anyway. Treating females like delicate flowers doesn't elevate them. It renders them delicious prey.

Me and my daughter could never wrestle, but we both could fight dirty to survive if necessary.

Let the ladies have at it.

One

Former Staff
Dec 2006
----> X <----

Brendan Johnston, left, shakes hands with Angel Rios after he forfeited the third-round consolation match in the Colorado state wrestling meet Saturday in Denver. (Michael Ciaglo)

More: Rather than wrestle a girl in the state championship, this high schooler forfeited

Jaslynn Gallegos, left, celebrates after pinning opponent Trevor Torrez to win fifth place in the Colorado state wrestling championships Saturday in Denver. (Michael Ciaglo)

My personal opinion? He is a wuss; he was scared of potentially losing to a girl :D

That's what I think.

As far as the overall issue, mixed gender competition in sports, I think it depends. Sometimes, females can succeed in male dominated sports, sure, why the hell not?

Example: unfortunately, there are very few child and junior hockey programs for girls in Russia; as a result, in many regions, the only path for girls who want to play, is to fight to join boys teams and prove themselves there.

In 2017, the "Southern Penguins", from Simferopol (Crimea) kind of made history, winning a regional tournament among kids born in 2009-10, with a girl, Sofia Zelenskaya, playing on their side

The Penguins had to battle just to be allowed to participate in the tournament with a girl goalie. In the end, the league authorities relented, in the face of a broad public support for Sofia among Crimeans and all over Russia, when national media picked up the story :)

And Sofia is not alone; numerous other young girls, like 11 year old goalie Anya Umurzakova from Ulyanovsk

Ulyanovsk has NO girl hockey teams; so she also plays with boys, on same team as her brother Vladimir!

That's among kids though. No integrated adult teams over there, of course... Not YET, anyway :D

But, another case I read about over there, more related to this, Tatyana Dvazhdova, 24 now, from St. Petersburg

Yep, both are same person, that's what years of hand to hand combat training do to what used to be a soft young girl hehe

She wanted to fight in the city's no holds barred MMA leagues; but they don't take females; so she taped over her breatss

got a fake passport, and fights secretly, as "Vladimir Yermolaev"

She has taken on numerous men; and has yet to lose a bout

:D

Women are never to be underestimated, in my personal opinion :)
Sounds like he did the right thing.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Nope. You can't decide for females what risks they will accept.

Most will be knocked around by a male at some point in their lives, anyway. Treating females like delicate flowers doesn't elevate them. It renders them delicious prey.

Me and my daughter could never wrestle, but we both could fight dirty to survive if necessary.

Let the ladies have at it.
It's not about what risk females will accept.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I agree 100%

There is no place for this kind of madness in High School Sports.
FFS! Where did you go to high school?

Mine was as dangerous as combat. We had MURDERS as kids were thrown to their deaths from the roof.

I was never beaten or raped because I carried and used a switchblade (and had some fucking survival instincts.)

Very few women lead lives that are one long stroll on the beach at sunset.