**GW #350** Would you Support A Handgun Ban?

Do you support a handgun ban?

• Total voters
Jul 2013
Ohio
I support a ban on handguns being carried, openly or concealed, in public spaces......except for law enforcement.
Keep your gun in your truck or at home to defend your castle.

Reactions: Davocrat
Dec 2018
Florida
I support a ban on handguns being carried, openly or concealed, in public spaces......except for law enforcement.
What use is a handgun for self defense if I don’t have it? Like when I am out in the middle of the woods? Or carrying something of significant value from one point to another? Out on my walk from my home?

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
No. A ban is a ban. But this type of ban would lead to a bunch of miniature wars in our cities.

Reactions: HCProf

TNVolunteer73

Former Staff
Nov 2014
TN
I'd support a ban on all semi-automatic firearms.
how many murders have been committed by assault rifles?

you now 5 times more people are murdered by knives than by Rifles of all types, (this rages from 22 single shot to full automatic rifles) year in and year out.

TNVolunteer73

Former Staff
Nov 2014
TN
We went to church one night, My wife, youngest daughter went to church in one car, my oldest (16 year old) daughter took the 2nd car she had homework to do, and we were going out for dinner after church, in the middle of dinner we got a call my daughter said the police were at the house, there was a home invastion:

We lived in a 2 story home and she was upstairs in her room typing her paper on her PC. She heard someone kicking at the door, she ran to our bedroom got the phone dialed 911, as she got the phone she also got my Semi-Auto Colt 1911. she took a defensive position behind the bed laid the phone on the bed, she told the dispatcher someone is breaking into the house I am here alone I have a pistol. Dispacher said stay on the line I will send officers.

Before the officers got to the house, 2 men came to the bedroom door, She said stop, pointing the pistol at the center of the first man's chest and yelled "STOP, LEAVE!" the man saw her turned and left. She stayed behind cover and she was hearing noise downstars the dispatcher said the officers thould be there, she asked "What is the ranking officers badge number" she yelled who is downstairs they returned Police, she asked what is your badge number, they matches, She said I have a pistol I am removing the magazine and emptying the chamber what do you want me to do?
She complied with the officers commands.

A case where a firearm was used tostop a crime, and did not even have to be fired.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
This is a specific question. I’m not talking about “assault weapons.” I’m talking specifically handguns. They represent the overwhelming majority of the firearms used in homicides. There is no argument otherwise. Here is a source (forgive wiki but they link several credible sources that all back the same fact).

Gun violence in the United States - Wikipedia

So that being said. Do you support a handgun ban?
I wouldn't support one at this point. There's no reason to think it's necessary. There are miles and miles of gun regulations we could try, short of an outright ban, to lower gun violence in this country -- universal background checks, universal training requirements, laws requiring firearms to be locked securely when not in use, universal registration, design improvement mandates to reduce accidental shootings, etc. I strongly suspect that implementing those things would gradually capture the vast majority of the improvements that could be captured through a handgun ban, without running afoul of the first amendment the way a handgun ban likely would.

Reactions: OldGaffer

TNVolunteer73

Former Staff
Nov 2014
TN

Keep it in the truck where a criminal can steal it..

CCL holders have a better safety record and commit fewer crimes than law enforcement officers.

Recent Similar Discussions Forum Date
Entertainment
Recent Similar Discussions
**GW, Post #71** Villains I Have Hated