GW post #41 WHY this fear of the N word???

Feb 2019
Florida
Can someone 'splain this to me? How did this simple word wind up with so much power?
(This'll crack you up, on both sides of the aisle.)

Why the fear?

Perhaps I should be more precise.

Why do WHITE people fear this word?
(It reminds me of how students at Hogwarts are afraid of mentioning the name Voldemort).

Blacks use it all the time. Black rappers use it more than KKK rallies. Why is it okay for them to use it and not whites?

The entymology of that word is basically an ignorant poor white's (circa early 19th Century) pronunciation of the Spanish word for black: Negro.

The original dirty comic (and a FLAMING left wing liberal for his day) Lenny Bruce once said that we should just take that word and say it over and over and over again until it loses its power. Then
some little black girl won't come home from school crying because someone called her that.

But today, it is a word that can get a white guy fired, attacked, kicked off a political message board.

Why does that word have so much power?

Feb 2019
Florida
To be historically open about this, (and I've had a lot more birthdays than I'd care to admit) I can remember a time when racism was a lot more prevalent and it was dangerous to be seen with blacks. In the late 50s, a KKK marched down Main Street was not condemned as a vile act. I can remember a lunch counter in Enfield, North Carolina (the Friendly Grill) which had two separate dining areas: One black and one white. This was during the Democrat Party's JIM CROW era.
Even in 1973, when I was a senior in high school, our school band played a concert at some small town North Carolina high school and (I SWEAR I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP) half the room was nothing but black and half the room was nothing but white. They were THAT segregated, and it appeared the separation was voluntary.
I was working with an all black band in my senior year, (and making some pretty good money at the time.) The guys in the band would pick me up in the van on the way to the gig. One morning, I found a House For Sale sign placed between the front door and the screen door.

That was ugly. When I joined that band, I lost just about every white friend I had. No girls' fathers would allow their precious daughters to go out with that N loving guy. I felt the ugliness of the era, the ignorance and the small mindedness, and I was white. I could only imagine what the blacks were going through.

If you think there hasn't been any progress for blacks since that time, you haven't lived much life.

Feb 2019
Florida
I was in high school less than a hundred miles away from Little Rock when this picture was taken, my generation takes racism seriously. It is not funny, and it is not to taken lightly. This is the legacy of the Conservative South.
View attachment 21593
There was NOTHING conservative about the South at this hateful time. This is the legacy of the DEMOCRAT PARTY in the south and that racist party has NEVER changed.
And your younger generation is very lucky.
My parents and I were on our way to Louisiana from North Carolina and we stopped in Birmingham, Alabama for the night. I had trouble getting to sleep because I heard what sounded like a big party going on outside. A lot of whooping and hollaring. The next day as we drove out, we saw all kinds of destruction. Broken windows, overturned cars, etc.
It had been a race riot. We couldn't drive away fast enough. This was around 1963.

Conservatism means being color blind and accepting people based on the content of their souls and not the color of their skin. I believe REPUBLICAN Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once made that observation.

Feb 2019
Florida
What I don't understand is why it's so important to some folks to have access to that word.
Same here. Why was that word thrown all over the movie Bamboozled? Why do rap artists use that word so much?

Who would WANT access to that word?

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
There was NOTHING conservative about the South at this hateful time. This is the legacy of the DEMOCRAT PARTY in the south and that racist party has NEVER changed.
And your younger generation is very lucky.
My parents and I were on our way to Louisiana from North Carolina and we stopped in Birmingham, Alabama for the night. I had trouble getting to sleep because I heard what sounded like a big party going on outside. A lot of whooping and hollaring. The next day as we drove out, we saw all kinds of destruction. Broken windows, overturned cars, etc.
It had been a race riot. We couldn't drive away fast enough. This was around 1963.

Conservatism means being color blind and accepting people based on the content of their souls and not the color of their skin. I believe REPUBLICAN Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once made that observation.
Yeah?

How did he feel about the use of the N word and blackface? Asking since those are the two causes you seem to be championing at the moment.

Jul 2017
U.S.A.
Personal Insult
Conservatism means being color blind and accepting people based on the content of their souls and not the color of their skin..
So, what you're saying is that the Trump Klan are Dixiecrats?
I knew that!

Btw, I'm digging your Stormfront Dog whistle thread.