Halal meat in public schools

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Is this endorsement of a religion or not? I would say it clearly is.
American Thinker?? :lol:

It is not an endorsement of religion, but merely a reasonable accommodation. It should make no difference to non-Muslims whether what they eat is halal or not, just like if it was all kosher.

Oct 2019
International Falls, Minnesota
American Thinker?? :lol:

It is not an endorsement of religion, but merely a reasonable accommodation. It should make no difference to non-Muslims whether what they eat is halal or not, just like if it was all kosher.
I totally disagree. It's obvious to me that it's accommodating muslims.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Is this endorsement of a religion or not? I would say it clearly is.
As I understand it, meat is Halal if the animal is butchered humanely and the processing is sufficiently hygienic. Also, no pork.

My only concern is whether the meat suppliers to this school are unfairly excluded if they are not Halal. But then, as far as I know, they could be if they satisfied the standards and were certified.

I dunno. It's hard because there are so many Muslim kids in Dearborn schools. Without serving Halal meat, they'd all have to choose the vegetarian option (if there is one.)

Reactions: Delta Flight
Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
The problem with importing Muslims is that you will now have Islamic towns. And Islam will clash with the Constitution.

That being said, I do think local communities should make the decisions on how their schools are run.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
The problem with importing Muslims is that you will now have Islamic cities.
Dearborn is a suburban "city" for Detroit. The fact that new Muslim immigrants might choose to live there is no more "a problem" than when Chinese immigrants settle in various Chinatowns around the country.

Every single group of immigrants in history does this. It's the kids who integrate and move away.

That being said, I do think local communities should make the decisions on how their schools are run.
To a point. They can't choose to oppress anyone in an unconstitutional manner.