Halal meat in public schools

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
What's Christian food? There is no such thing. You can eat anything you want. Not the case with the other two. Dearborn gave in to a religious system of law. Liberals should be raising hell.

Christians have no such luxury.
So Christians will have no problem eating the food that other students can too. No luxury.

Reactions: The Man

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
What's Christian food? There is no such thing. You can eat anything you want. Not the case with the other two. Dearborn gave in to a religious system of law. Liberals should be raising hell.

Well, for us Russian Orthodox Christians, there is, for example, the Kulich

It's a type of special cake everyone has on Orthodox Easter (April 19th, this upcoming one): Kulich - Wikipedia

It is customary for the more traditional people, primarily women, to make their Kulichi themselves, and bring them to church, to have a priest bless them with holy water, before the celebration; or, in this case, even the Patriarch (our Pope) himself! :D

Of course, they are commercially available, for those unable or unwilling to bake own, too lol Fully blessed, as well.

The Church even ships thousands of Kulichi to Syria before each Easter, since 2015, for all the Russian personnel over there

There is also the Prosphora, a type of bread handed out at church services over there, a custom Russian Orthodox took from the Greeks (along with the religion itself)

I do believe the Catholics and some Protestant denominations have something similar:

Etc.

Just because your silly televangelist megachurch doesn't have any real ancient rituals or traditions (yet still considers itself a religion lol), doesn't mean we are all like you, my friend :)

Feb 2010

It's a luxury to have a restricted diet? How does that work? Christians can eat halal food too, they wouldn't know any different.

Sep 2016
My own world
Well, for us Russian Orthodox Christians, there is, for example, the Kulich

It's a type of special cake everyone has on Orthodox Easter (April 19th, this upcoming one): Kulich - Wikipedia

It is customary for the more traditional people, primarily women, to make their Kulichi themselves, and bring them to church, to have a priest bless them with holy water, before the celebration; or, in this case, even the Patriarch (our Pope) himself! :D

Of course, they are commercially available, for those unable or unwilling to bake own, too lol Fully blessed, as well.

The Church even ships thousands of Kulichi to Syria before each Easter, since 2015, for all the Russian personnel over there

There is also the Prosphora, a type of bread handed out at church services over there, a custom Russian Orthodox took from the Greeks (along with the religion itself)

I do believe the Catholics and some Protestant denominations have something similar:

Etc.

Just because your silly televangelist megachurch doesn't have any real ancient rituals or traditions (yet still considers itself a religion lol), doesn't mean we are all like you, my friend :)
Is it true that a woman in the family at Christmas would bake for Christmas Eve a round bread and put a silver coin in it? The tradition is the head of the family breaks off pieces from the round bread and whoever gets the piece with the coin will have a special blessing in the coming year? I also understand that the meal on Christmas Day is all vegetarian, although I hear some families include fish? I'm not entirely sure about that last part being correct?

I find these sorts of things fascinating only because it is so different from what I grew up with, tree and big meal were the only Christmas traditions we had other than of course church.

Reactions: The Man
Dec 2013
Switzerland
American Thinker?? :lol:

It is not an endorsement of religion, but merely a reasonable accommodation. It should make no difference to non-Muslims whether what they eat is halal or not, just like if it was all kosher.
My concern is to have the kids fed, there is further no reason to project whatever prejudice we may have against hallal, hosher, vegan etc...

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Is it true that a woman in the family at Christmas would bake for Christmas Eve a round bread and put a silver coin in it? The tradition is the head of the family breaks off pieces from the round bread and whoever gets the piece with the coin will have a special blessing in the coming year? I also understand that the meal on Christmas Day is all vegetarian, although I hear some families include fish? I'm not entirely sure about that last part being correct?

I find these sorts of things fascinating only because it is so different from what I grew up with, tree and big meal were the only Christmas traditions we had other than of course church.
That's a Serbian tradition (bread with coin), not Russian lol

:)

But, yeah, lots of cool customs back in that whole part of the world, for sure.

Feb 2010
Like the EU, UK food standards emphasise cleanliness in the food chain from source to the plate. There are NO "permissible levels" of feces or animal hair. There are reams of regulations about the care treatment and housing of poultry. There are no minimum standards in the USA.

"US food regulations allow one maggot per 250 ml of juice, up to 30 insect fragments per 100-gram jar of peanut butter, 11 rodent hairs per 25g of paprika and 3 milligrams of mammalian excretaer per pound of ginger. "
businessinsider.com/rat-hairs-and-…

That's one big reason the dread Brexit and being fored into deals with Donald. Our food standards will be abandoned for cheaper US products.

Jun 2014
United States
Like the EU, UK food standards emphasise cleanliness in the food chain from source to the plate. There are NO "permissible levels" of feces or animal hair. There are reams of regulations about the care treatment and housing of poultry. There are no minimum standards in the USA.

"US food regulations allow one maggot per 250 ml of juice, up to 30 insect fragments per 100-gram jar of peanut butter, 11 rodent hairs per 25g of paprika and 3 milligrams of mammalian excretaer per pound of ginger. "
businessinsider.com/rat-hairs-and-…

That's one big reason the dread Brexit and being fored into deals with Donald. Our food standards will be abandoned for cheaper US products.

Those trace minerals are good for you! ;)

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA

Actually, most public schools have menus that cater to the dietary restrictions of Catholics during Lent.