Harris and Warren back reparations for black Americans

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Agree or not?

Democratic Sens. Kamala Harris (Calif.) and Elizabeth Warren (Mass.), who are both running for president, have reportedly said they support reparations for black Americans affected by slavery.

The New York Times reported Thursday that Harris affirmed her support for reparations in a statement after agreeing last week with a radio host that reparations are necessary. "We have to be honest that people in this country do not start from the same place or have access to the same opportunities," Harris said in the statement. "I’m serious about taking an approach that would change policies and structures and make real investments in black communities."

Among those who have not backed the policy are former President Obama, 2016 Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and her Democratic rival that year, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), the Times noted. Sanders is running for president again in 2020.

Supporters have said the policy is necessary to address slavery and other racist parts of U.S. history. Such a move could cost several trillion dollars, according to experts.

Warren, Harris back reparations for black Americans affected by slavery

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Among those who have not backed the policy are former President Obama, 2016 Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and her Democratic rival that year, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), the Times noted.
I also think reparations at this point in history are problematic at best.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
I don't know who any of these people are. I just read the OP and it says someone named Harris said " change policies and structures and make real investments in Black communities".

Under a headline deliberately lying and claiming that the person had supported paying reparations to individuals.

I fucking HATE being lied to by media. I hate it. I hate it.

I don't understand why so many people just lap it up. Gargling it with glee. Again and again and again.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
I don't know who any of these people are. I just read the OP and it says someone named Harris said " change policies and structures and make real investments in Black communities".

Under a headline deliberately lying and claiming that the person had supported paying reparations to individuals.

I fucking HATE being lied to by media. I hate it. I hate it.

I don't understand why so many people just lap it up. Gargling it with glee. Again and again and again.
Wut .....

You think the NY Times is lying?

Say it isn't so .....

Jan 2014
California
Agree or not?

Democratic Sens. Kamala Harris (Calif.) and Elizabeth Warren (Mass.), who are both running for president, have reportedly said they support reparations for black Americans affected by slavery.

The New York Times reported Thursday that Harris affirmed her support for reparations in a statement after agreeing last week with a radio host that reparations are necessary. "We have to be honest that people in this country do not start from the same place or have access to the same opportunities," Harris said in the statement. "I’m serious about taking an approach that would change policies and structures and make real investments in black communities."

Among those who have not backed the policy are former President Obama, 2016 Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and her Democratic rival that year, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), the Times noted. Sanders is running for president again in 2020.

Supporters have said the policy is necessary to address slavery and other racist parts of U.S. history. Such a move could cost several trillion dollars, according to experts.

Warren, Harris back reparations for black Americans affected by slavery
bajisima,

I agree with them. Any person who was once a slave should be immediately be compensated for their labor by the people or entities that enslaved them.