Harry & Meghan resigning from Royal Family

Aug 2018
Vancouver
From what I understand they're going to start a charity, Royal Sussex. I don't think they mean to personally profit off of the monarchy.
It's unclear. But financial independence is the key to all of this. They want to be free of the taxpayers purse so they don't need to give access to the press under existing agreements.

So what sort of income are they planning? And they absolutely could not call it "Royal Sussex" in a Commonwealth country. But the US has no such law or understanding.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
To put that into context, the Canadian army - having served with distinction in two world wars - has never been given the title "Royal" .

It's the Royal Canadian Airforce and the Royal Canadian navy. But it's just the plain old Canadian Army.

The RCMP only received the "Royal" title after serving as a volunteer light dragoon unit in the Boer war.

No - they should not be using that as a brand name.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Man

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
To put that into context, the Canadian army - having served with distinction in two world wars - has never been given the title "Royal" .

It's the Royal Canadian Airforce and the Royal Canadian navy. But it's just the plain old Canadian Army.

The RCMP only received the "Royal" title after serving as a volunteer light dragoon unit in the Boer war.

Well, they're negotiating with The Firm. We'll see what comes of that.

I found this discussion interesting.

Jul 2011
UK/Australia

I suspect there is some sort of convention in respect of Commonwealth armed forces. Similarly - the Australian Army is not given the title Royal Australian Army, whereas they have the Royal Australian Air Force, and the Royal Australian Navy. We have the Royal Army as well as the Royal Air Force and the Royal Navy.

And no one should be using the title 'Royal' for any purpose - commercial or charitable - without Royal assent. Prince Henry knows (or should know) this.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
I suspect there is some sort of convention in respect of Commonwealth armed forces. Similarly - the Australian Army is not given the title Royal Australian Army, whereas they have the Royal Australian Air Force, and the Royal Australian Navy. We have the Royal Army as well as the Royal Air Force and the Royal Navy.

And no one should be using the title 'Royal' for any purpose - commercial or charitable - without Royal assent. Prince Henry knows (or should know) this.
Not to mention keeping the name Sussex after stepping away from duties.

Staying a Duke are we?

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
My indifference is reaching fever pitch!
The jackals of the British media are tearing at them in exactly the way they described as the reason for doing this. Piers Morgan to the fore....
Still, it takes the pressure off Johnson, who has spent more time on holiday than at work since he was elected. (This may be a net good thing!)

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Not to mention keeping the name Sussex after stepping away from duties.

Staying a Duke are we?
I think anyone can be royalty, today...

Maybe not in UK, but, in Russia, for example, there are "Grand Duchess" Maria Vladimirovna and her son "Grand Prince" Georgy

They allegedly descend from the Romanovs (and Georgy's dad was from, I forget, Spanish or German royalty, supposedly).

As you see, they have lots of support from the Church

They now lead the so-called "House of Romanov" in Russia, and apparently legally hand out all kinds of medals

and bestow aristocratic titles on people, all sorts of celebrities, like famous sculptor Zurab Tsereteli

At least that one ACTUALLY descends from bona fide Georgian aristocracy... But, like, half of Russian showbiz are now dukes and barons and baronesses, thanks to these two, it is fashionable there now lmao

Georgy is especially living well, his pompous title and apparent family wealth certainly garner him plenty of attention from the ladies haha

No wonder he ain't married yet... I would wait and bloody enjoy myself in that situation too haha

Putin likes the the Grand Duchess too

Some think she, or, more likely, the younger one, Georgy, the alleged Tsesarevich, may in not so distant future, be made an actual figurehead monarch over Russia, and in turn bless Putin to rule as dictator for rest of his life. That's one theory that's been floated over there for how the little fucker will retain power in 2024, anyway...

This is all, btw, even as there are rival groups of Romanovs, both in Russia and abroad, in Europe, who question the legitimacy of Maria & Georgy and their "House" and some even openly call them imposters and such... haha

Russia ..

Aug 2018
Vancouver
I think anyone can be royalty, today...

Maybe not in UK, but, in Russia, for example, there are "Grand Duchess" Maria Vladimirovna and her son "Grand Prince" Georgy

They allegedly descend from the Romanovs (and Georgy's dad was from, I forget, Spanish or German royalty, supposedly).

As you see, they have lots of support from the Church

They now lead the so-called "House of Romanov" in Russia, and apparently legally hand out all kinds of medals

and bestow aristocratic titles on people, all sorts of celebrities, like famous sculptor Zurab Tsereteli

At least that one ACTUALLY descends from bona fide Georgian aristocracy... But, like, half of Russian showbiz are now dukes and barons and baronesses, thanks to these two, it is fashionable there now lmao

Georgy is especially living well, his pompous title and apparent family wealth certainly garner him plenty of attention from the ladies haha

No wonder he ain't married yet... I would wait and bloody enjoy myself in that situation too haha

Putin likes the the Grand Duchess too

Some think she, or, more likely, the younger one, Georgy, the alleged Tsesarevich, may in not so distant future, be made an actual figurehead monarch over Russia, and in turn bless Putin to rule as dictator for rest of his life. That's one theory that's been floated over there for how the little fucker will retain power in 2024, anyway...

This is all, btw, even as there are rival groups of Romanovs, both in Russia and abroad, in Europe, who question the legitimacy of Maria & Georgy and their "House" and some even openly call them imposters and such... haha

Russia ..
There was a tv show in the states, they took 4 real Princes around to the world and stuck them in small town USA with a few bucks and a dirty house and they had to try to find love. Lasted one season. One of the guys they had was a Romanov. I wonder if this was him haha.