Harvard: July 4th Parades Are Right-Wing

Jul 2011
Tennessee
wow this is such overwhelming evidence that this ps true. are you kidding me? how stupid.

democrats, keep the kids away from july 4th celebrations, they might become stark raving mad right wing republicans.

The three key findings of those attending July 4th celebrations:

• When done before the age of 18, it increases the likelihood of a youth identifying as a Republican by at least 2 percent.
  • It raises the likelihood that parade watchers will vote for a republican candidate by 4 percent.
  • It boosts the likelihood a reveler will vote by about 1 percent and increases the chances they'll make a political contribution by 3 percent.
Harvard: July 4th Parades Are Right-Wing - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
That's nuts !

Wow, is there really a correlation, though? Who doesn't love a parade?

May 2006
Bizzaro Werld
wow this is such overwhelming evidence that this ps true. are you kidding me? how stupid.

democrats, keep the kids away from july 4th celebrations, they might become stark raving mad right wing republicans.

The three key findings of those attending July 4th celebrations:

• When done before the age of 18, it increases the likelihood of a youth identifying as a Republican by at least 2 percent.
  • It raises the likelihood that parade watchers will vote for a republican candidate by 4 percent.
  • It boosts the likelihood a reveler will vote by about 1 percent and increases the chances they'll make a political contribution by 3 percent.
Harvard: July 4th Parades Are Right-Wing - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)
Sounds like bullshit to me.

May 2006
Bizzaro Werld
Hey, did you see the posts on the other Hollywood? I found the owner's brother and he says you can have the scalp :). I mean.... the name. :)
KEWL!!!!! How do I collect said scalp? Amit hasn't responded to my PM as of yet.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
Sounds like bullshit to me.
I agree. First, the findings involve very small variations in behavior. Second, 4th of July parades take place almost exclusively in small towns, which are already more Republican than urban and suburban areas. If there is correspondence, who cares? There certainly isn't causality.

Jun 2006
Vancouver
I would say there could be causality. If one politcal party is identified in people's minds as more overtly patriotic then I could understand a 1,2,3, or 4% shift after participating in an overtly patriotic celebration.

There is real data on the fact that incumbants win big after professional sports wins. When a 'city' wins a championship in a popular sport, or a country wins a world cup or important olympic medal - incumbants genuinely receive voting boosts as people feel generally more satisfied with their lot in life.

I could totally see a political party getting a boos after a patriotic holiday. But that party would have be identified by a number of people as being more patriotic. And 1 - 4% of Americans feeling that way for federal Republicans would make sense to me. Even a larger number would be easy for me to believe.