Has a white person ever picked a piece of fruit?

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
Ever read "The Grapes of Wrath" ? Fiction,I know. But those former Sharecroppers came to California to do exactly that.
They came here to escape the very conditions they created, which was caused by too much plowing in one direction and not taking care of the land during drought conditions. Not all were share croppers.

It's nice that we took them in wasn't it? Some were pretty hard to put up with and stuck in their unproductive ways in an area where the Depression had already hit the residents pretty hard. Gramps said he still had to go down to Mexico get help because they didn't want to pick the table grapes the ways he wanted for the buyers on the East Coast. Of course the next year the bank took the farm.

Mar 2019
California
They came here to escape the very conditions they created, which was caused by too much plowing in one direction and not taking care of the land during drought conditions. Not all were share croppers.

It's nice that we took them in wasn't it? Some were pretty hard to put up with and stuck in their unproductive ways in an area where the Depression had already hit the residents pretty hard. Gramps said he still had to go down to Mexico get help because they didn't want to pick the table grapes the ways he wanted for the buyers on the East Coast. Of course the next year the bank took the farm.
Took 'em in? Difference being these were AMERICAN Citizens.

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
Took 'em in? Difference being these were AMERICAN Citizens.
Yes..... took em in. Over 250,000 of 'em mostly in a little over two years, into an area of a little over a 500,000 people already devastated by the Depression. It placed an enormous burden on the inhabitants in the area.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
Yes..... took em in. Over 250,000 of 'em mostly in a little over two years, into an area of little over a 500,000 people already devastated by the Depression. It placed an enormous burden on the area.
Those people from the midwest were exploited by the fruit farms. They were promised good jobs and were paid pretty much nothing.

"Taken in???"

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
I've picked lots of apples and some peaches, apricots and nectarines. Good summer work while in high school.

One

Former Staff
Dec 2006
----> X <----
It seems it was either the Indians bringing it to them, or their slaves doing it or their Mexican laborers who provided them with their fruit.

Even Eve wasn't white so she doesn't count either.

Has anyone ever actually seen a white person pick fruit?
kind of a racist premise.
But yea, when I was a kid, I would make extra cash picking strawberries.