Has anyone noticed a substantial increase in imports items from China yet?

Mar 2010
Indiana
I use something in my aquaculture tanks that is imported from China that used to be around $100.00. No American replacement. Now it's nearly $200.00 in less than a year. I can't imagine that is a normal price increase. It has to be the tarriffs. And sure enough it's the consumer that is picking up the tab.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
I use something in my aquaculture tanks that is imported from China that used to be around $100.00. No American replacement. Now it's nearly $200.00 in less than a year. I can't imagine that is a normal price increase. It has to be the tarriffs. And sure enough it's the consumer that is picking up the tab.

It's not tariffs. that would be 100%

Jan 2014
California
Mr. Enigma,

Not that I have noticed, but I have not made any major purchases lately (unless you count that electric mower I got for $50 at the Orchard Supply store closing....;) )

Oct 2018
WonderfulOregon
China can't lose - their Communist.

When US citizens lose their jobs - we panic...Mortgage rent utilities ...no job no money

Chinese people don't pay for these things. They don't panic.

Many Chinese workers are female who come into the urban setting from communal farms where their parents live.

If Apple pulls out of China - because tariffs are too high for big profits Apple will find another country for cheep labor - they will never come back unless the job can be automated and no worker has to be paid.

China doesn't need the jobs for housing, food...etc. With Communism, everyone gets a job, everyone has a roof over their heads, everyone is provided food. The chinese are allowed to work on the side...selling what they grew on the farms. They don't get as much, but family ties are very important in China, and they get that back

Granted (I hope) they made more money at Apple. That money was 'extra money' sent back to their parents (Chinese are taught to take care of their parents)
These workers were given a dorm type of accommodations from their employers when they worked in the city. If the U S company leaves China, the girls just take the train back home

We will never win a Tariff war with China - they can easily live without us and no one starves. The only inconvenience these Chinese workers will have, is packing their suit case!

Last edited:

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
What gets me is he keeps saying how he is making China pay. In fact no, who pays is the consumer, you, unless you just don't buy any longer.

Why so many people let that lie go unchallenged is beyond me.

Mar 2010
Indiana
While I really haven't been paying attention, I haven't noticed because its been quite a while since I've been to a WalMart.
Just so you know I don't shop at Walmart unless I absolutely have to. The item I am speaking of is not available at Walmart.