Have Conservatives Evolved or Grown Regarding Treatment of Women in Politics?

Wonderer

Council Hall
May 2014
Missouri
Because that's the reality of what's going on right now. We've transitioned from Democrats being in control to Republicans being in control. That makes it the opportune time to observe changes in behavior, which is one of the points of the thread. While Democrats were in control, women in leadership or public positions who happen to be democrats were lashed out at. Now Republicans are in control and those comments suddenly aren't coming from them. That's the illustration.

I made the point that when Democrats are in control again a thread that is the reverse of this one could logically be started if the same pattern could be shown. That's what I'm asking for. Does that pattern exist with the same intensity? I'm saying no and it's got nothing to do with perspective.
And I'm saying yes and yes it does. So, now what? Arm wrestle?

No. It means that it isn't there. Regardless of what you think my politics are, I consume information from right, left and centrist sources. Maybe we're different in that way though. Maybe there would be a perspective difference with someone who only gets information from one source. I'm also here at this forum, perhaps WAY too much ( :D ), and am able to observe the topics discussed and the threads started. It's often said that liberals here greatly outnumber conservatives. If this is a perspective issue, then posts by liberals about the physical traits of conservative women should GREATLY outnumber those by conservatives about cankles, Michelle Obama being a man or Nancy Pelosi's plastic surgery, for example. But, they don't. And that's not perspective. That's reality. There simply is no comparison. Will that be true in two or six years? I don't know.
I consume information from right, left, and centrist sources, as well. I'm willing to bet, however, that I consume MORE information from right sources than you do. (And that you consume MORE information from left sources than I do.) You observe what you observe, and I observe what I observe. You know what you know and I know what I know.

PH is but one little speck in the universe of political discourse. (No offense to PH - I obviously spend a lot of time here, too!) It's not definitive proof as to the quantity of anything other than the people who post here and the topics discussed. Having spent a great deal of time in the right wing blogosphere and twitterverse, I can assure you that PH is representative of a left-leaning political message board, not of all on-line political discourse. There's nothing wrong with that. Other than to contend that it's definitive proof of much of anything. The fact that there's more right-leaning commentary here regarding left-leaning women could be just as much a reflection of attempts by the (political) minority trying to rattle cages and leverage its position.

In the end, we agree that basing one's outrage or support on the political leanings of the targets or perpetrators is hypocritical.

But if you want to take it beyond that and assert that the right is a worse offender on that front than the left, then we disagree. That is your opinion. Mine differs. Yours doesn't trump mine (nor vice-versa.) We're just two people on the interwebz with different experiences and observations.

Jets

Former Staff
Feb 2011
New York
[MENTION=25787]Wonderer[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2615]boontito[/MENTION]

Hey guys, your posts aren’t long enough. Quit slacking.....

;)

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
And I'm saying yes and yes it does. So, now what? Arm wrestle?
How about tiddlywinks?

I consume information from right, left, and centrist sources, as well. I'm willing to bet, however, that I consume MORE information from right sources than you do. (And that you consume MORE information from left sources than I do.) You observe what you observe, and I observe what I observe. You know what you know and I know what I know.
No way of knowing. Possibly. I would think not. I prefer commentary that I disagree with.

But pointing out that we both read sources from the left, right and middle, kind of argues against your argument that this is a perspective problem based on the information we take in.

PH is but one little speck in the universe of political discourse. (No offense to PH - I obviously spend a lot of time here, too!) It's not definitive proof as to the quantity of anything other than the people who post here and the topics discussed. Having spent a great deal of time in the right wing blogosphere and twitterverse, I can assure you that PH is representative of a left-leaning political message board, not of all on-line political discourse. There's nothing wrong with that. Other than to contend that it's definitive proof of much of anything. The fact that there's more right-leaning commentary here regarding left-leaning women could be just as much a reflection of attempts by the (political) minority trying to rattle cages and leverage its position.

In the end, we agree that basing one's outrage or support on the political leanings of the targets or perpetrators is hypocritical.

But if you want to take it beyond that and assert that the right is a worse offender on that front than the left, then we disagree. That is your opinion. Mine differs. Yours doesn't trump mine (nor vice-versa.) We're just two people on the interwebz with different experiences and observations.
But you keep raising that point. A point that has nothing to do with the OP. And no where in the OP was I saying that the right is worse than the left. This thread is about behavior on the right though. As I've said a couple of times, a similar thread about behavior on the left in the same vein would be relevant when the left regains power. The question remains the conservatives who attacked liberal women in power for their appearance just a couple short years ago but who now don't, is it because they've grown or evolved? It shouldn't be that hard to answer that question without defaulting to "but the left is worse", "the left does it too" or anything about "the left".

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
And for the record, I'd go out and have a beer with [MENTION=25787]Wonderer[/MENTION] right now. And I'd insist that [MENTION=7106]Jets[/MENTION] buys.

Apr 2010
Oregon
Making fun of someone else's appearance was a pretty bold card to play for someone as unfortunate looking as Michelle Wolf. But I guess when you're as unfunny as her, you do what you can to get by.
Wow, dude. Wow.

Michelle Wolf didn’t make fun of SHS looks.

And yet here you are insulting Wolf’s appearance

Pathetic.

Wonderer

Council Hall
May 2014
Missouri
How about tiddlywinks?
Only if there's beer involved.

No way of knowing. Possibly. I would think not. I prefer commentary that I disagree with.
As do I, else I'd not spend as much time at PH as I do. But given that I write and edit for a right-leaning publication, hosted a right-leaning radio show on a right-leaning radio station for 5+ years and have worked in and around the "rightwing blogosphere" for close to a decade, I'm pretty comfortable with my assertion.

But you keep raising that point. A point that has nothing to do with the OP. And no where in the OP was I saying that the right is worse than the left. This thread is about behavior on the right though. As I've said a couple of times, a similar thread about behavior on the left in the same vein would be relevant when the left regains power. The question remains the conservatives who attacked liberal women in power for their appearance just a couple short years ago but who now don't, is it because they've grown or evolved? It shouldn't be that hard to answer that question without defaulting to "but the left is worse", "the left does it too" or anything about "the left".
I'm not defaulting to it. I'm pointing it out because of the stated inspiration for your thread. It's disingenuous to claim it wasn't designed as a jab at conservatives and/or to assert that it's only relevant as to the right. Be that as it may, you and I both know it has nothing to do with evolution and everything to do with hypocrisy. So, the "question" itself is disingenuous.