Health insurance through work now costs nearly $20,000

Nov 2006
Employers and workers together are spending close to $20,000 for family health insurance coverage in 2018
Companies pick up most of the tab, shelling out $14,100 a year, on average. Still, workers have to pay an average of $5,550, up 65% from a decade ago.

For single coverage, total premiums have reached $6,900, on average, up 47% from 2008. Workers contribute roughly $1,200 a year.

Getting health insurance through work now costs nearly $20,000
That's $796 every 2 weeks and we still have those saying we can't afford UHC? I wish employers quit contributing all together and we'll see how long it takes to get it. you want to know why your wages aren't higher? It's because your employer has to pay an additional $14,000 /yr to cover you.

Jun 2014
United States
The private sector health-care insurance model has been broken for decades. That's why we passed PPACA, which was little more than a baby step in the right direction, and that's why every other modern nation on the planet has already instituted a UHC system.

Nov 2006
The private sector health-care insurance model has been broken for decades. That's why we passed PPACA, which was little more than a baby step in the right direction, and that's why every other modern nation on the planet has already instituted a UHC system.
I don't think any other modern nation on the planet has so many ignorant republicans in it either. I bet every person against UHC doesn't even know what is taken from their checks or what their employer pays extra to have them covered. They talk about that tax being too much but if the employer didn't have to shell out 15k /yr for your healthcare you could have a healthy raise

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Americans have had it pretty easy in spite of it all. Most of the companies around here paid close to 90% of all our healthcare up until 10-12 years ago. So most people had no idea what it costs. Its like property tax and a mortgage. Few people can tell you how much their property tax is because its escrowed in their mortgage payments. If they had to pay it all out of pocket you bet they would know better.

Jun 2014
United States
I don't think any other modern nation on the planet has so many ignorant republicans in it either. I bet every person against UHC doesn't even know what is taken from their checks or what their employer pays extra to have them covered. They talk about that tax being too much but if the employer didn't have to shell out 15k /yr for your healthcare you could have a healthy raise

Obviously, many people out there are too damned stupid to figure it out.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
I had no idea the price tag to the employer has increased to this level. Wow. Another thing to consider, all of the Countries where jobs were relocated, have universal coverage and the employers don't worry about it. Maybe we could keep more jobs in the Country if employers did not worry about this.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I had no idea the price tag to the employer has increased to this level. Wow. Another thing to consider, all of the Countries where jobs were relocated, have universal coverage and the employers don't worry about it. Maybe we could keep more jobs in the Country if employers did not worry about this.
Now are health insurance payments made by an employer tax deductible? Or do they get some sort of tax loophole for it? Because it doesnt make sense that they dont seem to care. You would think companies would be on the front line for UHC but they arent.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
Now are health insurance payments made by an employer tax deductible? Or do they get some sort of tax loophole for it? Because it doesnt make sense that they dont seem to care. You would think companies would be on the front line for UHC but they arent.
I did a little research and found out a lot of large employers are self insured. They use insurance companies to administer the plans but they pay the bill once adjudicated by the insurance company. I just found out my husbands employer is self insured and he works for a giant company. My fear, is these companies will freeze out the middle age workers because they cost more to insure and pay claims. Under UHC, employers are taxed and maybe that is the fear, they will be taxed more than what premiums cost for a younger workforce. I am not sure what is making them hold on to private insurance, maybe the Cadillac Tax scared them when it was introduced under the ACA...which I felt was absolutely insane,

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I did a little research and found out a lot of large employers are self insured. They use insurance companies to administer the plans but they pay the bill once adjudicated by the insurance company. I just found out my husbands employer is self insured and he works for a giant company. My fear, is these companies will freeze out the middle age workers because they cost more to insure and pay claims. Under UHC, employers are taxed and maybe that is the fear, they will be taxed more than what premiums cost for a younger workforce. I am not sure what is making them hold on to private insurance, maybe the Cadillac Tax scared them when it was introduced under the ACA...which I felt was absolutely insane,
They must have something to gain by it or they would refuse to pay this much. They probably also dont like the idea of being taxed for UHC because it wont be deductible.