Heartbeat bills

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Two I'm aware of two set to pass soon.

In Ohio:

Ohio Senate passes ‘heartbeat’ abortion ban

And Georgia:

Georgia Senate passes 'heartbeat' abortion bill

The courts will likely decide the fate of these bills, but if it gets to the Supreme Court I have a feeling it will become the law of the land.
Yea I hear a lot of talk about this. I assume the SC will probably vote along the lines of basically keeping abortion legal but not beyond viability. So I think its possible these heartbeat bills could be defeated. Problem is with technology viability is getting sooner so I suppose at some point we will be arguing if viability means hooked up to machines or on their own? Also the recent third term abortion laws in a few states is upsetting some people. They feel the tests have gotten so good that any defects or issues come up by 20 weeks or so. At some point its going to be technology driven I suppose.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Yea I hear a lot of talk about this. I assume the SC will probably vote along the lines of basically keeping abortion legal but not beyond viability. So I think its possible these heartbeat bills could be defeated. Problem is with technology viability is getting sooner so I suppose at some point we will be arguing if viability means hooked up to machines or on their own? Also the recent third term abortion laws in a few states is upsetting some people. They feel the tests have gotten so good that any defects or issues come up by 20 weeks or so. At some point its going to be technology driven I suppose.
Heartbeats are generally detectable at 8 weeks. That's not viability by any standard. My guess is the incidence of rape & incest are going to shoot up dramatically in states where this becomes law.

Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
You shouldn't be allowed to kills unborn babies just cause you don't want one. Planned Parenthood needs to go.

Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
You would rather force women to carry babies to term that (for whatever reason) they've decided they don't want? Wouldn't that just make problems worse?

I guess there's always forcing them to raise babies for others to adopt. That's insane.
I think the legality of killing their own babies encourages them to dismiss the results of sleeping around so much. If they get pregnant, those women know they can kill their baby