Hello all!

Sep 2011
New York
I'm a veteran of another political forum, which no longer seems like a good place to find a decent discussion.

A few years ago I would have identified myself as a solid libertarian.
But lately I've been seeing things much more pragmatically; while ideology has its place, I just can't justify using it alone.
I've gone from looking at government as an inherently corrupt necessity that should be limited to the protection of individual rights, to seeing it as an institution powered by society. I don't think it's the answer to all of our problems, but I also don't think we should strip it of all it's functions and return everything to the private sector.

I'm extremely liberal on social issues, and I'm still pretty conservative on the economic side. But I do tend to favor policy that is moderate and balanced.

I'm either a conservative Democrat or a liberal Republican, but until I figure out which I'll just go with independent.

I try to look at things objectively and enjoy conversations that lean more towards discussion than debate, but it works either way.
See y'all around the board.

Reactions: Tedminator

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
I'm a veteran of another political forum, which no longer seems like a good place to find a decent discussion.

A few years ago I would have identified myself as a solid libertarian.
But lately I've been seeing things much more pragmatically; while ideology has its place, I just can't justify using it alone.
I've gone from looking at government as an inherently corrupt necessity that should be limited to the protection of individual rights, to seeing it as an institution powered by society. I don't think it's the answer to all of our problems, but I also don't think we should strip it of all it's functions and return everything to the private sector.

I'm extremely liberal on social issues, and I'm still pretty conservative on the economic side. But I do tend to favor policy that is moderate and balanced.

I'm either a conservative Democrat or a liberal Republican, but until I figure out which I'll just go with independent.

I try to look at things objectively and enjoy conversations that lean more towards discussion than debate, but it works either way.
See y'all around the board.

Hiya, Tarheeler :). Said hi and welcome in one of the threads, but welcome again! Nice to meetcha :)

anonymous

Former Staff
Jun 2008
Passing Through
Welcome to the jungle. I am one who believes that people depend on the government to much and that self reliance is a virtue. Our problems are not insurmountable but as a nation we need to understand that there are limits to what government can do. I too am a liberal on social issues but that does not mean that I agree with giving people something for nothing unless they are truly disabled and can do nothing.

Sep 2011
New York
Welcome to the jungle. I am one who believes that people depend on the government to much and that self reliance is a virtue. Our problems are not insurmountable but as a nation we need to understand that there are limits to what government can do. I too am a liberal on social issues but that does not mean that I agree with giving people something for nothing unless they are truly disabled and can do nothing.
I agree with you there. We have serious flaws with our social programs that need to be addressed sooner rather than later.
I'm not necessarily opposed to to having a social safety net, but we need to be careful in both the scope and the application of it.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Welcome.

I'm a libertarian-leaning advocate of a cash-only health care system and overall I have an extremely pessimistic long-term outlook for the global economy.

Recent Similar Discussions Forum Date
New Users
Current Events
New Users