Herman Cain Gets Secret Service Protection

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Nov 17, 2011 6:44pm By Devin Dwyer
Herman Cain asked for and has been granted Secret Service protection, according to the agency charged with protecting American officials.

“[Homeland Security] Secretary [Janet] Napolitano, at the request of the Cain campaign, consulted with congressional advisory committee which today authorized protection for Cain,” said George Ogilvy, a Secret Service spokesman.

Ogilvy would not discuss nature or duration of protection. It is also not clear if any other candidates have received Secret Service protection. One law enforcement official would not say which other campaigns might be getting security, but did confirm Cain began getting it today.

Cain’s campaign would not discuss the protection.

ABC News source.

Herman Cain just became the first Republican candidate to get Secret Service protection this early in the campaign. The only other person to get the protection was our President ( although much earlier in the campaign than Cain, in May of 2007). Obama didn't feel the need to hold a press conference and announce it though. I guess there's something about the word "secret" that Cain doesn't understand. Seems to me it just makes their job more difficult with him prancing around bragging about it. Stealth is a formidable weapon.

Whether Cain requested protection due to White Supremacist threats, as Obama did, will remain a mystery for now. I personally think that if my tax dollars are going to protect this guy, and he's going to hold a press conference about it, the least he could do is be more forthcoming as to why.

Last edited:
Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Nov 17, 2011 6:44pm By Devin Dwyer
Herman Cain asked for and has been granted Secret Service protection, according to the agency charged with protecting American officials.

“[Homeland Security] Secretary [Janet] Napolitano, at the request of the Cain campaign, consulted with congressional advisory committee which today authorized protection for Cain,” said George Ogilvy, a Secret Service spokesman.

Ogilvy would not discuss nature or duration of protection. It is also not clear if any other candidates have received Secret Service protection. One law enforcement official would not say which other campaigns might be getting security, but did confirm Cain began getting it today.

Cain’s campaign would not discuss the protection.

ABC News source.

Herman Cain just became the first Republican candidate to get Secret Service protection this early in the campaign. The only other person to get the protection was our President. Obama didn't feel the need to hold a press conference and announce it though. I guess there's something about the word "secret" that Cain doesn't understand. Seems to me it just make their job more difficult with him prancing around bragging about it. Stealth is a formidable weapon.

Whether Cain requested protection due to White Supremacist threats, as Obama did, will remain a mystery for now. I personally think that if my tax dollars are going to protect this guy, and he's going to hold a press conference about it, the least he could do is be more forthcoming as to why.

Where are you coming up with "Cain held a press conf to announce it"? According to your story it was announced by the agency doing the protecting. And that the Cain campaign had no comment.

Not really following what point you are trying to make....??

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Where are you coming up with "Cain held a press conf to announce it"? According to your story it was announced by the agency doing the protecting. And that the Cain campaign had no comment.

Oh sorry. Good point.
His press conference just ended. It was carried on CNN. Not sure of the other networks.

My point is that if a person is going to hold a press conference, then they should
actually dispense with some useful information. The fact that he's got Secret Service protection, in of itself, although news worthy, is not all that useful.

Babylon

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Jersey

It's a guy from the "other" party dude, Something has to be wrong..

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Need a little help formulating a topical comment?

Let's see.

How about commenting on why Herman Cain felt the need to hold a press conference
to announce that the Secret Service is now protecting him?

Or maybe, why is it necessary for a guy that's obviously not going to win the nomination
to bother with the Secret Service?

Is that a prudent use of tax payer dollars?

The man raised millions of donations, why not spend some of it on private security?

He's not seriously considering the Presidency. His campaign is some sort of sick joke that he's playing on his supporters.

It stinks. I don't like it. Something just isn't right about this.

Reactions: Blueneck
Dec 2010
New York
WTF? Let Cain pay for his own private security if he feels threatened. The people of the United States have not elected him to any office; the taxpayers should not be picking up the tab for his expenditures.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
WTF? Let Cain pay for his own private security if he feels threatened. The people of the United States have not elected him to any office; the taxpayers should not be picking up the tab for his expenditures.
Typical Cain. He wants special treatment, cuz he's a black conservative. Why won't he tell us why he felt the need to request tax payers foot the bill to protect him? What's he hiding? He held a press conference, why? So that we all would be talking about it, while he gets free press?

Babylon

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Jersey
Need a little help formulating a topical comment?

Let's see.

How about commenting on why Herman Cain felt the need to hold a press conference
to announce that the Secret Service is now protecting him?

Or maybe, why is it necessary for a guy that's obviously not going to win the nomination
to bother with the Secret Service?

Is that a prudent use of tax payer dollars?

The man raised millions of donations, why not spend some of it on private security?

He's not seriously considering the Presidency. His campaign is some sort of sick joke that he's playing on his supporters.

It stinks. I don't like it. Something just isn't right about this.
If Obama got detail, then Cain gets detail. Whether you or I agree has never mattered, they'll do what they want anyway. So why even start a thread that'll just fall down party lines the way most issues fall...? There are no moderates anymore, our political debates have gone frompointing fingers and blaming the other guy, to almost hating the other guy because they are so much different and maybe even evil...! If we don't stop the bullshit soon, this country will be further defeated from the inside out. I think somebody should try to remain objective through the insanity..

Sorry if you are not happy with my role... :single_eye: