Heroin Is Cheaper Than Oxycontin?

Wonderer

May 2014
Missouri
Well, since prescription pain pills require a prescription, and heroin doesn't, I expect some of the issue may be ease of access, as well.

Reactions: 1 person
Mar 2012
New Hampshire

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Well, since prescription pain pills require a prescription, and heroin doesn't, I expect some of the issue may be ease of access, as well.
It's because we aren't currently "liberating" a country that grows oxycontin...

Wonderer

May 2014
Missouri
In some areas, heroin is now cheaper than marijuana as well. We are having a huge issue with it here in the Northeast due to its affordability. Plus, Mexico is pushing it more and more since their pot business is eroding.

New Heroin Cheaper, More Accessible | WGBH News
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/losing-marijuana-business-mexican-cartels-push-heroin-and-meth/2015/01/11/91fe44ce-8532-11e4-abcf-5a3d7b3b20b8_story.html
It's bad here in Missouri, too. :(

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
It's because we aren't currently "liberating" a country that grows oxycontin...
Actually, the same opium poppies are used to make Oxycontin as are to make heroin, mostly grown in Tasmania:

Tasmania, which is about the size of West Virginia, grows about 85 percent of the world’s thebaine, an opium poppy extract used to make OxyContin and a family of similarly powerful prescription drugs that have transformed pain management over the last two decades. It produces all of the world’s oripavine, another extract, which is used to treat heroin overdoses and shows promise in controlling other addictions. Tasmania also accounts for a quarter of the world’s morphine and codeine, two older painkillers from opium poppies that are still widely used, particularly outside North America.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/20/business/international/tasmania-big-supplier-to-drug-companies-faces-changes.html?_r=0

Same drug, different label.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
In 'Justified' they called Oxy 'Hillbilly Heroin'. I thought they meant Oxy was cheaper.