Hey, Vancouver!... IT'S ON!

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Oh God.

But but but. We’re a spiralling vortex of awful. If Vancouver doesn’t get its shit together in the next year and a half this is just going to be embarrassing.

That’s not fair that you get to pick from all the other team’s unwanted players. We’d LOVE to do that. Fuck. We’d probably fill out two full lines with them.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
West Coast 4 Life
By the way, you're like the hardest person to @mention... I had to research what username you use now. :D

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Seriously though that is great news for Seattle and for us too. A natural rival (what’s your next closest NHL city? Colorado? And ours is Calgary?) and fans can commute to see road games. The buildings are going to be electric.

I would have liked Quebec City to get a team back. But this is second best.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
West Coast 4 Life
Seriously though that is great news for Seattle and for us too. A natural rival (what’s your next closest NHL city? Colorado? And ours is Calgary?) and fans can commute to see road games. The buildings are going to be electric.

I would have liked Quebec City to get a team back. But this is second best.
Yeah, I think the chance for nearby rivals will be great. I've been to a few minor or junior level games around the northwest (seen the Spokane Chiefs, Tri-City Ameircans and Wenatchee Wild all play up in Canada at various locations) and the local rival thing is a lot of fun. Having Seattle fans up in Vancouver and Canuck fans down here for road games will be a lot of fun.

I think San Jose is a bit closer than Denver. Yep, according to Google, Denver is a 19 hour drive while San Jose is "only" 14.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Vancouver needs to have an NBA team again too :)

When I arrived in 2006, sis gave me a jacket and cap of "Vancouver Grizzlies", used to be dear nephew's, but he wouldn't wear them anymore, since the team moved to Memphis or wherever. I, of course, knew little of it, it was just a nice jacket and cap, to me, I gladly wore em lol

Would be nice, though, if the Grizzlies came back. I still have that cap (not the jacket, gave that away long ago) :D

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
West Coast 4 Life
The ownership group registered trademarks for 13 potential names last winter, in alphabetical order: Seattle Cougars, Seattle Eagles, Seattle Emeralds, Seattle Evergreens, Seattle Firebirds, Seattle Kraken, Seattle Rainiers, Seattle Renegades, Seattle Sea Lions, Seattle Seals, Seattle Sockeyes, Seattle Totems and Seattle Whales.

It’s possible that the final name isn’t on that list, of course. In a poll conducted this fall, Seattle Times readers favored Sockeyes and Totems, with Metropolitans and Steelheads—two names not trademarked by the franchise—close behind. Metropolitans, the name of the Seattle team that became the first American club to win the Stanley Cup in 1917, seems unlikely, though, because the NHL already has a Metropolitan Division in the Eastern Conference.

Ranking the possible names for Seattle’s NHL team

Of those 15 names mentioned:

Seattle Cougars: Won't happen. Not in the home of the UW Huskies when the cross-state rival is the WSU Cougars.

Seattle Eagles: It is a local bird but doesn't every state have a team named the Eagles?

Seattle Emeralds: Good local tie-in, Emerald City and all, but kind of a boring mascot.

Seattle Evergreens: Great... our mascot is a tree. No. Just no.

Seattle Firebirds: It's okay... not great though.

Seattle Kraken: Definitely the coolest name on the list. Might risk being a little too cartoonish though like the Anahem (Mighty) Ducks or the Toronto Raptors of the NBA.

Seattle Rainiers: Ahh, a classic with a lot of local history, plus the mountain would be great in the logo. Maybe.

Seattle Renegades: I like this name a lot though it has absolutely zero to do with the city, state or region. What? Did we rebel against mass marketed coffee and mainstream beer?

Seattle Sea Lions: No. We have better wildlife. No offense to actual sea lions which are really cool.

Seattle Seals: This one has some local history involved too. Possible.

Seattle Sockeyes: Would be great for when there's a fight on the ice... sock 'em in the eye?

Seattle Totems: Understandable. I'd rather not though.

Seattle Whales: Fat shaming our whole team? No.

Seattle Metropolitans: Very cool local history, but don't see it happening.

Seattle Steelheads: If you have to name the team after a fish, this is better than most.

---

My top three would be, in no particular order, Kraken, Rainiers and Steelhead.

Jan 2014
California
The ownership group registered trademarks for 13 potential names last winter, in alphabetical order: Seattle Cougars, Seattle Eagles, Seattle Emeralds, Seattle Evergreens, Seattle Firebirds, Seattle Kraken, Seattle Rainiers, Seattle Renegades, Seattle Sea Lions, Seattle Seals, Seattle Sockeyes, Seattle Totems and Seattle Whales.

It’s possible that the final name isn’t on that list, of course. In a poll conducted this fall, Seattle Times readers favored Sockeyes and Totems, with Metropolitans and Steelheads—two names not trademarked by the franchise—close behind. Metropolitans, the name of the Seattle team that became the first American club to win the Stanley Cup in 1917, seems unlikely, though, because the NHL already has a Metropolitan Division in the Eastern Conference.

Ranking the possible names for Seattle’s NHL team

Of those 15 names mentioned:

Seattle Cougars: Won't happen. Not in the home of the UW Huskies when the cross-state rival is the WSU Cougars.

Seattle Eagles: It is a local bird but doesn't every state have a team named the Eagles?

Seattle Emeralds: Good local tie-in, Emerald City and all, but kind of a boring mascot.

Seattle Evergreens: Great... our mascot is a tree. No. Just no.

Seattle Firebirds: It's okay... not great though.

Seattle Kraken: Definitely the coolest name on the list. Might risk being a little too cartoonish though like the Anahem (Mighty) Ducks or the Toronto Raptors of the NBA.

Seattle Rainiers: Ahh, a classic with a lot of local history, plus the mountain would be great in the logo. Maybe.

Seattle Renegades: I like this name a lot though it has absolutely zero to do with the city, state or region. What? Did we rebel against mass marketed coffee and mainstream beer?

Seattle Sea Lions: No. We have better wildlife. No offense to actual sea lions which are really cool.

Seattle Seals: This one has some local history involved too. Possible.

Seattle Sockeyes: Would be great for when there's a fight on the ice... sock 'em in the eye?

Seattle Totems: Understandable. I'd rather not though.

Seattle Whales: Fat shaming our whole team? No.

Seattle Metropolitans: Very cool local history, but don't see it happening.

Seattle Steelheads: If you have to name the team after a fish, this is better than most.

---

My top three would be, in no particular order, Kraken, Rainiers and Steelhead.
Boontito,

How about something regionally appropriate like "The Seattle Mildewed Pale Warriors"....;)