High School Removes Swastikas From Production Of ‘The Producers’

Jul 2014
Border Fence
I've seen high school renditions of major plays. There is no need for the script to follow the play exactly.

Maybe the school felt like the use of the symbol may be confusing to the younger members of the audience that know that symbol associated with death and destruction...to be seen used in a light-hearted comedy.

Maybe the school felt that we as adults have the ability to understand the nuance of its use in the play...but children would not have the same sophistication to make that distinction.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
I've seen high school renditions of major plays. There is no need for the script to follow the play exactly.

Maybe the school felt like the use of the symbol may be confusing to the younger members of the audience that know that symbol associated with death and destruction...to be seen used in a light-hearted comedy.

Maybe the school felt that we as adults have the ability to understand the nuance of its use in the play...but children would not have the same sophistication to make that distinction.
That is where teaching comes into play.

Jun 2006
Vancouver
High school kids should be exposed to things that confuse them. Life is confusing.

Otherwise when they are adults and things confuse them, they try to ban it.

Last edited:
Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
I remember our English teacher showing us the movie made from one of the classic books we read. Some parent said we should see parts of it. She had to get up and tell us to close our eyes and she ff'd through it, making it plain the whole time how stupid she thought it was.

Lots of SIGHS lol

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
High school kids should be exposed to things that confuse them. Life is confusing.

Otherwise when they are adults and things confuse them, they try to ban it.
Or they grow up completely unaware of what Swastikas and Nazis are and think they are cool..Then you end up with a presidential candidate........