High schooler who posted Bible verses in response to pride flags suspended for 'targeting' Gay-Straight Alliance club

Nov 2008
Washington state
Last Thursday, a high school girl in Ohio responded to LGBT pride flags by putting up Bible verses. Teachers took the Bible verses down, and the girl received an in-school suspension. That afternoon, her mother posted a video about the event, accusing Lebanon High School of celebrating evil and punishing righteousness. “So on Thursday when I got to school, I see that there were pride flags, posters around my school. And I felt the need to write down some Bible verses so I could put them around my school," she says in the video. "And I wrote them down and I put them around my lockers, the walls."

"I was coming back from lunch ... I see the teachers taking them down, and the next day, I got called to the office and there is a letter that says that I have an ISS, which is an in-school suspension, and the reason why I have it is because 'abuse of others, disrespect, rudeness' because I put Bible verses up 'targeting the GSA organization,'" the girl recalls, referring to the school's Gay-Straight Alliance.
"I did not know what the GSA organization was or meant," Gabby Helsinger insists. "Seeing that there was [sic] people in my school that needed help and they don’t need to be living in the confusion of wondering if they should be gay, bi, lesbian, trans, anything like that, and I know that God is the only way that they can be healed by that, and that’s why I did it. I was not targeting any kind of organization or anything like that."

The high school girl recounts her discussion with the principal. "When I got sent to the office, he was talking to me and he said, 'Why did you put these up here?' And I said, 'Because I wanted to spread the word of God.'""And he goes, 'Well did you have permission?" And I said, 'No.' And I didn’t know you had to have permission because people do it a lot, putting post-it notes up on people’s lockers, so I just did it."

The girl continued, "And I asked him why every time Jesus or God or anything like that gets brought up at school, it gets taken down right away. But we can put gay and pride stuff all over the school and not have to take it down and people can talk about it, but when you talk about God or Jesus you just get put down, you’re not allowed to talk about it." High School Student Suspended for Responding to LGBT Pride Flags with Bible Verses
Excellent point this girl made to the Principal. Does she need permission (free speech) to comment on what the school is promoting, which is the celebration of being Gay and Trans sexual? Why ( as a student) can’t she post Bible verses . Students are not government employees, so it’s not a separation of church and state issue. Looks like an issue of the school favoring one cause and trying to silence the other. A free speech issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Most publisc schools are all about SJW indoctrination these days.

This girl is going against the indoctrinated agenda.

Can't have that.

There must be discipline for ALL who think outside the indoctrinate agenda.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
So what do you think LBGT Flags are all about?

Projection much?
LGBT flags are that community's expression of pride, in the face of traditional prejudice and discrimination against them. Your point?

This girl could simply go about her day and nobody would have noticed her. Instead, she decided to get herself some attention off and online. Mission accomplished lol

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
Last Thursday, a high school girl in Ohio responded to LGBT pride flags by putting up Bible verses. Teachers took the Bible verses down, and the girl received an in-school suspension. That afternoon, her mother posted a video about the event, accusing Lebanon High School of celebrating evil and punishing righteousness. “So on Thursday when I got to school, I see that there were pride flags, posters around my school. And I felt the need to write down some Bible verses so I could put them around my school," she says in the video. "And I wrote them down and I put them around my lockers, the walls."

"I was coming back from lunch ... I see the teachers taking them down, and the next day, I got called to the office and there is a letter that says that I have an ISS, which is an in-school suspension, and the reason why I have it is because 'abuse of others, disrespect, rudeness' because I put Bible verses up 'targeting the GSA organization,'" the girl recalls, referring to the school's Gay-Straight Alliance.
"I did not know what the GSA organization was or meant," Gabby Helsinger insists. "Seeing that there was [sic] people in my school that needed help and they don’t need to be living in the confusion of wondering if they should be gay, bi, lesbian, trans, anything like that, and I know that God is the only way that they can be healed by that, and that’s why I did it. I was not targeting any kind of organization or anything like that."

The high school girl recounts her discussion with the principal. "When I got sent to the office, he was talking to me and he said, 'Why did you put these up here?' And I said, 'Because I wanted to spread the word of God.'""And he goes, 'Well did you have permission?" And I said, 'No.' And I didn’t know you had to have permission because people do it a lot, putting post-it notes up on people’s lockers, so I just did it."

The girl continued, "And I asked him why every time Jesus or God or anything like that gets brought up at school, it gets taken down right away. But we can put gay and pride stuff all over the school and not have to take it down and people can talk about it, but when you talk about God or Jesus you just get put down, you’re not allowed to talk about it." High School Student Suspended for Responding to LGBT Pride Flags with Bible Verses
Excellent point this girl made to the Principal. Does she need permission (free speech) to comment on what the school is promoting, which is the celebration of being Gay and Trans sexual? Why ( as a student) can’t she post Bible verses . Students are not government employees, so it’s not a separation of church and state issue. Looks like an issue of the school favoring one cause and trying to silence the other. A free speech issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good. Don't be an intollerant asshole. Glad they did that. Tell the young lady to sit in judgement of her own transgressions.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
Most publisc schools are all about SJW indoctrination these days.

This girl is going against the indoctrinated agenda.

Can't have that.

There must be discipline for ALL who think outside the indoctrinate agenda.
I stood up to a gay man who hated Christians. He was on Facebook shooting off his mouth and I told him about hisself.
That felt good too. I love to tell people what I think. I will stand up for any of my brothers. I do it for rightwingers on this site all the time. You know I do.

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
While free expression is something that remains with each individual what the LGBT Community did was express their concern for the way they continue to be treated with anger, rancor, bitterness and bigotry by those who feel they are far superior to them. Instead of showing tolerance and compassion for what the Community has suffered and continues to suffer on a mass scale she should have put up Bible verses that speak to tolerance and what Jesus said about Loving Your Fellow Man As Yourself. She failed in that regard as so many who believe as she does often do.