High schooler who posted Bible verses in response to pride flags suspended for 'targeting' Gay-Straight Alliance club

Nov 2008
Washington state
Yep, and I got no relief from my addictions until I WANTED help and ASKED for it.
Also, I see people come into my AA group every day that are ORDERED to go to meetings by a court. Few make long term sobriety and vanish as soon as they are no longer required to attend. because they don't want help.
Some make it, but only if they continue meetings of their own free will and work the steps.
Good for you glad you’re dry and sober after 35 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
There are several elements of this incident which have thus far not been included in the discussion.

Gay and transgender people have often suffered discrimination (including legal discrimination, incarceration, and death) and still do in many instances. Now like most of you, I do not pretend to understand homosexual attraction, but I imagine people who are homosexually attracted have equal difficulty understanding my or most of the board's sexual orientation. In short, except for a very few genuinely bisexual people, we are all born with a potential sexual orientation which matures around the time of puberty, or just before.

Accepting all that, it is natural in a civilised society to make allowance and allow various forms of compensation for the intentional and unintentional injustices suffered by minority groups - which may include homosexuals, ethic minority groups (such as the Australian Aboriginals,) and another group (who are technically a majority) known as females. Centuries of oppression and treatment as unequal human beings require various compensatory activities - which include such things as Womens Liberation, and Gay Pride marches and banners.

It is a mean spirited person indeed who begrudges those groups who have suffered centuries of prejudice and injustice, some slight expression of equality.

That the school concerned allowed gay banners on the premises was an expression of freedom (some might call it tolerance - but that is a value-judgmental term,) and that the school expressed concern over a student posting selected judgmental Biblical quotations on the official notice board, is not at all surprising - given the sentiments implicit in so doing.

In no way was the girl's religious beliefs impacted by the gay banners flown at the school, but the critical Biblical quotes were directly condemnatory of the natural orientation of any students who might have been gay. No person who entertains respect for the rights and feelings of others would make public derogatory comments upon those matters - such as ethnicity, skin colour, appearance, and sexual orientation - over which people have neither choice nor control. It is my opinion that the girl richly merited any sanctions she suffered.

Nov 2008
Washington state
There are several elements of this incident which have thus far not been included in the discussion.

Gay and transgender people have often suffered discrimination (including legal discrimination, incarceration, and death) and still do in many instances. Now like most of you, I do not pretend to understand homosexual attraction, but I imagine people who are homosexually attracted have equal difficulty understanding my or most of the board's sexual orientation. In short, except for a very few genuinely bisexual people, we are all born with a potential sexual orientation which matures around the time of puberty, or just before.

Accepting all that, it is natural in a civilised society to make allowance and allow various forms of compensation for the intentional and unintentional injustices suffered by minority groups - which may include homosexuals, ethic minority groups (such as the Australian Aboriginals,) and another group (who are technically a majority) known as females. Centuries of oppression and treatment as unequal human beings require various compensatory activities - which include such things as Womens Liberation, and Gay Pride marches and banners.

It is a mean spirited person indeed who begrudges those groups who have suffered centuries of prejudice and injustice, some slight expression of equality.

That the school concerned allowed gay banners on the premises was an expression of freedom (some might call it tolerance - but that is a value-judgmental term,) and that the school expressed concern over a student posting selected judgmental Biblical quotations on the official notice board, is not at all surprising - given the sentiments implicit in so doing.

In no way was the girl's religious beliefs impacted by the gay banners flown at the school, but the critical Biblical quotes were directly condemnatory of the natural orientation of any students who might have been gay. No person who entertains respect for the rights and feelings of others would make public derogatory comments upon those matters - such as ethnicity, skin colour, appearance, and sexual orientation - over which people have neither choice nor control. It is my opinion that the girl richly merited any sanctions she suffered.
Should the school ban religious speech to protect gay rights as a new policy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk