Hillary As Rapist's Defense Lawyer: Is It Relevant?

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio

I have a real problem with the bashing going on as to Hillary Clinton's handling of the defense of a child rape defendant in the 1970's. The victim herself has been heard to say that she felt Hillary lied on her in court and found the experience brutalizing. Hillary herself is heard on tape to say she felt her client was guilty and laughing about how she was able to get him a (very reduced) sentence.

Hillary Clinton LAUGHS as she recalls how she helped 'child rapist' walk free | Mail Online

Do you react to this news as a parent? As a conservative or liberal? As a feminist (or not)?

I am all those things, but I am also proud of our system of justice. The duty of a defense lawyer is single-minded: to advocate for her client. (There are limits imposed because all lawyers are officers of the court, but they are not in tension with that duty.) The judge, the prosecutor and the jury are all duty-bound to search for the truth. The defense lawyer is not; she is there is protect her client and force the state to prove its case.

No doubt, Hillary WAS brutal to this child victim, and no doubt, she is still suffering from those memories all these years later. In the 1970's, sex crimes victims were not adequately protected from abusive cross-examination and children suffered from this most of all. But whatever the rules were then, Hillary should have gone to the wall for her client regardless of her own personal sense of right and wrong, guilt or innocence. And she did.

I am not a supporter of this woman. And one of my big complaints about her is that she has never been what I would call a feminist. Much I would love it if someone emerged from her past and made career-ending accusations against her, in this case, I think she is without blame.

What say you? Does this story alter the way you see this woman?

May 2012
By the wall
Defending a rapist is not going to help you in politics.

Of course this will come up if she runs for president and will definitely hurt her.

It would hurt any politician and when you add it to the fact that she was fired from the Watergate investigation it gets even worse.

May 2013
Banned Camp Segregation Unit

I have a real problem with the bashing going on as to Hillary Clinton's handling of the defense of a child rape defendant in the 1970's. The victim herself has been heard to say that she felt Hillary lied on her in court and found the experience brutalizing. Hillary herself is heard on tape to say she felt her client was guilty and laughing about how she was able to get him a (very reduced) sentence.

Hillary Clinton LAUGHS as she recalls how she helped 'child rapist' walk free | Mail Online

Do you react to this news as a parent? As a conservative or liberal? As a feminist (or not)?

I am all those things, but I am also proud of our system of justice. The duty of a defense lawyer is single-minded: to advocate for her client. (There are limits imposed because all lawyers are officers of the court, but they are not in tension with that duty.) The judge, the prosecutor and the jury are all duty-bound to search for the truth. The defense lawyer is not; she is there is protect her client and force the state to prove its case.

No doubt, Hillary WAS brutal to this child victim, and no doubt, she is still suffering from those memories all these years later. In the 1970's, sex crimes victims were not adequately protected from abusive cross-examination and children suffered from this most of all. But whatever the rules were then, Hillary should have gone to the wall for her client regardless of her own personal sense of right and wrong, guilt or innocence. And she did.

I am not a supporter of this woman. And one of my big complaints about her is that she has never been what I would call a feminist. Much I would love it if someone emerged from her past and made career-ending accusations against her, in this case, I think she is without blame.

What say you? Does this story alter the way you see this woman?
Abraham Lincoln defended a guy charged with murder once. Come on people, think! Ever heard of a "right to a fair trial?" I know and read of lots of defense lawyers who knew their client was guilty and were simply trying to get their client the right sentence, instead of the overkill we see too much of today. If we're to have a fair court system, we have to have defense lawyers. You gotta be shittin' me! THAT has to be explained?

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Defending a rapist is not going to help you in politics.

Of course this will come up if she runs for president and will definitely hurt her.

It would hurt any politician and when you add it to the fact that she was fired from the Watergate investigation it gets even worse.
Only those folks that buy the Enquirer are going to buy that unsupported allegation.

Jun 2010
Ohio
Abraham Lincoln defended a guy charged with murder once. Come on people, think! Ever heard of a "right to a fair trial?" I know and read of lots of defense lawyers who knew their client was guilty and were simply trying to get their client the right sentence, instead of the overkill we see too much of today. If we're to have a fair court system, we have to have defense lawyers. You gotta be shittin' me! THAT has to be explained?
Yes but did Lincoln KNOW that the guy was guilty? Did lincoln later adopt a position in complete contradiction to this legal defense in court?

Either way the issue makes her a hypocrite and a huge one.

If she were simply a lawyer working for defendents in court it would not matter. Instead she is a politician seeking the highest office ( so far as we know ). As such she will attempt to change policy and influence laws for all.

Bossy's known and expressed position on many issues is a feminist one she support the equal pay act for example. She is also a supporter of policy changes for such things as campus rape and sexual assault. These policy chanages puchsed by Obama and supported by bossy would move such matters onto college adminsitration ( ignoring law enforcement ) adminstrations would be encouraged to consider preponderance of evidence to decide how to discipline accused rapists.

Rather the opposite of arresting an alleged rapist taking him to court and presenting evidence while lawyers fight to convict or acquit.

I guess it takes a village to raise a child but one man with a good lawyer to rape one.

May 2012
By the wall
If America breaks out into Civil War I'm sure people will not be too concerned with what Clinton did.

However, given a normal political environment.....this makes her look extremely bad.

Her base supporters won't care and the right will hate her as usual but its those people hovering around the middle she needs to appeal to.

This will hurt her as soon as the negative ads start coming out.

May 2013
Yes but did Lincoln KNOW that the guy was guilty? Did lincoln later adopt a position in complete contradiction to this legal defense in court?

Either way the issue makes her a hypocrite and a huge one.

If she were simply a lawyer working for defendents in court it would not matter. Instead she is a politician seeking the highest office ( so far as we know ). As such she will attempt to change policy and influence laws for all.

Bossy's known and expressed position on many issues is a feminist one she support the equal pay act for example. She is also a supporter of policy changes for such things as campus rape and sexual assault. These policy chanages puchsed by Obama and supported by bossy would move such matters onto college adminsitration ( ignoring law enforcement ) adminstrations would be encouraged to consider preponderance of evidence to decide how to discipline accused rapists.

Rather the opposite of arresting an alleged rapist taking him to court and presenting evidence while lawyers fight to convict or acquit.

I guess it takes a village to raise a child but one man with a good lawyer to rape one.
Oh yea that's right! Lincoln and Hillary and Bill were the ONLY lawyers to ever get elected to high office in Washington DC! And I'm sure both Lincoln and Hillary knew at that point in their law careers they'd be running for high office one day. Christ, this is like talking to fuckin' children!

May 2013
If America breaks out into Civil War I'm sure people will not be too concerned with what Clinton did.

However, given a normal political environment.....this makes her look extremely bad.

Her base supporters won't care and the right will hate her as usual but its those people hovering around the middle she needs to appeal to.

This will hurt her as soon as the negative ads start coming out.
Well fuck me then! I've been teaching rapists and murders and helping them get their diplomas for the past 9 years. Remind me to never run for pubic office! Where in the hell do you people come from? Or from under what rock I should ask.............

May 2012
By the wall
There is a rule in politics we study that says you can do anything as a politician. You can cheat, do drugs, break laws and people will forgive you.

The two things they do not forgive however is getting caught in a straight up lie or anything to do regarding violating children. The fact that Hillary is tied to something like this is beyond bad for her political career.

Just wait for those ads to come out showing a picture of a broken child and the words "Hillary Clinton defended child rape".

Its just extremely bad for her.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
John Adams defended the British soldiers involved in the Boston massacre and said of it, "one of the most gallant, generous, manly, and disinterested actions of my whole life, and one of the best pieces of service I ever rendered my country."

And BTW everyone, even the guilty are entitled to a fair trial.