Hillary Clinton campaign payment to dossier author Christopher Steele broke election laws

Apr 2012
It is time for this to be taken to court. Hillary should be charged the way democrats want to charge Trump

Hillary Clinton campaign payment to dossier author Christopher Steele broke election laws

A conservative nonprofit has filed a federal lawsuit accusing the Hillary Clinton campaign of violating election laws when it paid British citizen Christopher Steele to gather Kremlin-provided political dirt on candidate Donald Trump.
Though not stated outright, the lawsuit argues that Democrats violated an admonition issued last week by Federal Election Commission Chairman Ellen L. Weintraub. She decreed that political campaigns cannot accept “anything of value” from foreign nationals.
The lawsuit from The Coolidge Reagan Foundation says the Clinton campaign and Democratic National Committee accepted something of a value from a foreign national, Mr. Steele, in the form of Kremlin anti-Trump smut.
The suit’s purpose is to persuade a federal judge to order the FEC to vote on whether to open a formal investigation. Coolidge Reagan filed an FEC complaint in August. It was accepted for review, but there has been no formal commission action, according to Dan Backer, the foundation’s founder and president.
Ms. Weintraub issued her warning on June 13 after President Trump told ABC News that he would listen to foreign allegations against a political appointment.
“Let me make something 100% clear to the American public and anyone running for public office: It is illegal for any person to solicit, accept, or receive anything of value from a foreign national in connection with a U.S. election,” said Ms. Weintraub, a Democrat. “This is not a novel concept. Electoral intervention from foreign governments has been considered unacceptable since the beginnings of our nation.”
Ms. Weintraub pinned the statement to her Twitter page, with the headline “I would not have thought that I needed to say this.”
The Coolidge Reagan Foundation said that during the 2016 election, Democrats did precisely what Ms. Weintraub described.
“The Clinton campaign, not Trump, collaborated with the Russians in a desperate, and ultimately failed, attempt to steal the election,” says the August 2018 complaint. It names Mr. Steele, the Clinton campaign, the DNC and Perkins Coie, the Democrats’ law firm, as respondents.
“I think Weintraub is full of hot air,” Mr. Backer told The Washington Times. “I mean after all, she’s very serious about Trump’s comment but she hasn’t done anything about our complaint.
A FEC spokesman told The Times: “A provision of the federal statute prohibits me from commenting on an enforcement matter that has not been closed by the agency.”
The Perkins Coie law firm didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Nov 2015
UK
Keep typing. Get back to us when something ACTUALLY breaks.
Respondents and complainants can then reply. The counsel prepares a report to the commission, which votes on whether there is a “reason to believe” a violation occurred. If a complaint receives four votes, a formal investigation begins.

Will just have to wait and see if an investigation begins.

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
Clinton didn't pay Steele anything. Her campaign paid an American company, who subcontracted Steele who never knew who the client was.

Jan 2018
Plamer Earth
Not long ago Hillary was paid $25,000 for a speech at Rutgers University (on gender and politics). In the years before she lost the presidential election she would get ten times that amount for a speech. I guess the brokerage firm CME Group won't be shelling out $225,000 to hear her babble now that she has lost her power.