Hillary Clinton quip

Jun 2018
US
Hillary Clinton Says All Black People ‘Look Alike’…But Was It A Joke?

“I know they all look alike,” Clinton said almost instinctively, perhaps making the viewer think the footage may have been doctored because, of course, what former Democratic presidential nominee who was overwhelmingly supported by Black voters would ever say such a thing; especially in public?

Just looking for your thoughts

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Hillary Clinton Says All Black People ‘Look Alike’…But Was It A Joke?

“I know they all look alike,” Clinton said almost instinctively, perhaps making the viewer think the footage may have been doctored because, of course, what former Democratic presidential nominee who was overwhelmingly supported by Black voters would ever say such a thing; especially in public?

Just looking for your thoughts

I think the joke was a very astute jab at the error made by the interviewer, who mixed up two black men. There's a very old racist meme that black people are hard to tell apart. Note, it wasn't Clinton who got them confused. She's the one who called out that confusion with a joke,

Jun 2018
US
I think the joke was a very astute jab at the error made by the interviewer, who mixed up two black men. There's a very old racist meme that black people are hard to tell apart. Note, it wasn't Clinton who got them confused. She's the one who called out that confusion with a joke,
So just like like bill Maher saying "I'm a house ni****". As long as it is a joke it's ok to say

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
So just like like bill Maher saying "I'm a house ni****". As long as it is a joke it's ok to say
No, not at all like that. The joke here was to ridicule the idea that black men all look alike -- and to take a little jab at the interviewer for the error. Calling that out serves a positive function. Maher, by comparison, was just looking for a cheap laugh with intentionally outrageous rhetoric.

What Clinton did was more like this:

Political Outlet ‘The Hill’ Doesn’t Know The Difference Between Susan Rice And Condoleezza Rice

See, that article says "We all look alike, right?" But it's making the exact opposite point -- it's calling out The Hill, Fox News, and other outlets that can't tell the difference between two black people. It's called irony.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Just like Megyn Kelly just asking a question about blackface. She was fired immediately.

Very different from that, obviously. Megyn Kelly was trying to suggest that blackface was OK as long as you were portraying a character. Given the dark history of blackface, the viewers and managers of her channel disagree. Clinton, by comparison, wasn't trying to push the idea that all black men look alike, but rather to call out that racist trope through irony.

Jun 2018
US
Very different from that, obviously. Megyn Kelly was trying to suggest that blackface was OK as long as you were portraying a character. Given the dark history of blackface, the viewers and managers of her channel disagree. Clinton, by comparison, wasn't trying to push the idea that all black men look alike, but rather to call out that racist trope through irony.
So your saying what Clinton said was "positive " . Then why did the interviewer say "no they don't".

Sounds as though she caught the faux pas as did the audience .