Hillary Clinton quip

Jun 2018
US
This was not a hard search. Google "taco truck" "absolutely delicious" and "Clinton" and it turns up thousands of hits, including the Hill, Univision, the Boston Globe, ABC, C-Span, the New Yorker, the Washington Post, the Today show, and NBC News -- and that's just the first four pages of results. I just timed myself. From the moment before I opened a browser tab to the moment when I scrolled through the fourth page of results took 18 seconds.
See , you did not read anything I said. I was talking about Clinton's latest gaffe. The topic of my post.

Other people got what I was saying.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
See , you did not read anything I said. I was talking about Clinton's latest gaffe. The topic of my post.

Other people got what I was saying.

I did read what you said. I even tried to get a clarification of what you were trying to say.

If you go back through the thread, you should spot where you went wrong. Bronwyn referred to Clinton's taco truck statement. In post 76, I responded to that, pointing out that when you put that statement in context, it was commendable, not racist, and in post 77, I challenged Bronwyn to apologize for wrongly characterizing it as racist. You butted in and replied to that in post 79, saying that most of the MSM did not run the story, because they knew it would be seen as racist. I pointed out that was wrong and listed a huge number of mainstream outlets that covered it. Apparently you're now indicating that you thought we were talking about the latest faux-gaffe by Clinton, not the one that Bronwyn and I were actually discussing in the post to which you responded.

As for the latest quip that the wingnuts are pretending was a gaffe, it's been widely covered, and not just by the usual right-wing garbage-fire outlets:

'I know they all look alike': Hillary Clinton is catching heat for a joke she made about Cory Booker and Eric Holder
The Record looks at Brendan Gill, Phil Murphy’s ‘inside man’
Hillary Clinton mocks host for confusing two black people: 'I know, they all look alike'
'I know they all look alike': Hillary Clinton is catching heat for a joke she made about Cory Booker and Eric Holder
Clinton teases interviewer who confused Holder and Booker: 'They all look alike'
Hillary Clinton jokes after interviewer confuses Eric Holder and Cory Booker: "They all look alike"
'They All Look Alike': Hillary Clinton Cracks A Joke After Interviewer Mixes Up Eric Holder And Cory Booker

It's actually hilarious how much coverage such an innocuous little quip has gotten.

Jun 2018
US
I did read what you said. I even tried to get a clarification of what you were trying to say.

If you go back through the thread, you should spot where you went wrong. Bronwyn referred to Clinton's taco truck statement. In post 76, I responded to that, pointing out that when you put that statement in context, it was commendable, not racist, and in post 77, I challenged Bronwyn to apologize for wrongly characterizing it as racist. You butted in and replied to that in post 79, saying that most of the MSM did not run the story, because they knew it would be seen as racist. I pointed out that was wrong and listed a huge number of mainstream outlets that covered it. Apparently you're now indicating that you thought we were talking about the latest faux-gaffe by Clinton, not the one that Bronwyn and I were actually discussing in the post to which you responded.

As for the latest quip that the wingnuts are pretending was a gaffe, it's been widely covered, and not just by the usual right-wing garbage-fire outlets:

The Record looks at Brendan Gill, Phil Murphy’s ‘inside man’
Hillary Clinton mocks host for confusing two black people: 'I know, they all look alike'
Clinton teases interviewer who confused Holder and Booker: 'They all look alike'
Hillary Clinton jokes after interviewer confuses Eric Holder and Cory Booker: "They all look alike"
'They All Look Alike': Hillary Clinton Cracks A Joke After Interviewer Mixes Up Eric Holder And Cory Booker

It's actually hilarious how much coverage such an innocuous little quip has gotten.
It was an inappropriate comment and they gave her a pass . It will come up to haunt her if she is seriously thinking about 2020.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
It was an inappropriate comment and they gave her a pass . It will come up to haunt her if she is seriously thinking about 2020.

It was an appropriate comment but, since it came from Clinton, the wingnuts are compelled to pretend it was a problem. No doubt if she were to run in 2020, they'll use it against her. But so what? They're going to find something to pretend to freak out about, one way or the other, so better just to disregard them. These are, after all, people who managed to spend a year pretending to hyperventilate about her email habits, and even imagined there was something disgraceful about her charity work. They are outraged on command and it's best to ignore their goofy antics.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I think this attempt by Democrats to hold themselves (and their leaders) to much higher standards backfires. I think it's part of why so many on the left are perceived as stiff and inauthentic (e.g., Gore, Kerry, Dukakis, and Hillary Clinton), or as off-putting egg-heads, forever couching their words in caveats and equivocations, for fear of contradicting themselves or later being proven wrong. They're so busy monitoring themselves to avoid handing their enemies anything they could use as ammunition, that they come across as overly cautious and phony -- the kind of thing that makes dummies on the right embrace Trump because "he's not a politician" (by which they mean he's the kind of simple-minded braying asshole they hang out with).

That effort is bound to fail, because the right doesn't need any real ammunition -- if a Democrat doesn't give them something to use, they'll just invent something (like Gore's non-existent "I invented the Internet" line). I think Democrats would do better to be a bit more like LBJ or Bill Clinton -- willing to let it all hang out. That doesn't mean they have to become the kind of race-baiting, homophobic, xenophobic monsters who have taken over the GOP. But they shouldn't be second-guessing everything before they say it

This made me think of a good set of lines from Emerson, which function as a rejoinder to those who would be over-cautious for fear of contradicting themselves:

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. . . . Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. . . . To be great is to be misunderstood. "

Or, as Whitman put it in verse:

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
Maybe but I guess I see it a bit differently. A healthy chunk of democratic politicians are just that way because of their backgrounds, experience and education. Take Hillary(since she is the topic) her fans and followers most certainly want to see her as she is. They like it. She is a former first lady, senator and SOS. She behaves appropriately. I certainly dont expect her to try to dumb herself down and I dont think anyone else does either. She comes off a bit stiff and unauthentic because thats who she is (dont mean that in a negative way). If you circulate in certain circles and go to events with doctors, lawyers etc thats how it is. They arent the life of the party typically. To me when they try to behave differently it comes off badly. Al Gore trying to be hip, hurt himself. Trying to fake jokes and making it stick wasnt his true self and his followers knew it. Its why I think the purists, tend to see stuff like that and say "hmm guess I like the Green party better, at least they are authentic." GOP tends to like their candidates a bit more animated and their slogans that fit nicely on a bumper sticker. I dont think the need is there for these candidates to change just to realize who they are talking to. Biden can walk the Oscar Mayer line and fit in beautifully, because he knows what to say and how it will be received. Hillary just cant do that.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Maybe but I guess I see it a bit differently. A healthy chunk of democratic politicians are just that way because of their backgrounds, experience and education. Take Hillary(since she is the topic) her fans and followers most certainly want to see her as she is. They like it.
I guess I don't qualify as a fan or a follower of Clinton. But I have been a fairly frequent defender for her, against attacks I see as unfair. And I'd like to see more fighting spirit from her. I hate the fact she's so quick to apologize and backtrack when questioned about her statements. Trump can say the most horrifying things and his instinct, when confronted, is to double down, and that charges up his followers. I don't want to see that from Clinton -- when she legitimately says something wrong, then an apology is fine. But if it's more like she said something right that merely discomfited the stuffy centrists, then she should stand by her statements, and even double down if appropriate. Otherwise, she seems ashamed of her own behavior, and it takes the wind out of the sails of her base.

Trying to fake jokes and making it stick wasnt his true self and his followers knew it.
Yes. He was an egghead and a nerd and should have been comfortable with that persona. But Hillary Clinton is different. She has a sharp wit an an instinct for the cutting comment. Yet, because of her political party and her gender, that's treated as unbecoming. She's expected to be demure and conciliatory... and she tries, which isn't her true self, so she comes across as inauthentic. I'd like to see her liberated to wield that stiletto and not browbeaten into issuing an insincere apology when she does so.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I guess I don't qualify as a fan or a follower of Clinton. But I have been a fairly frequent defender for her, against attacks I see as unfair. And I'd like to see more fighting spirit from her. I hate the fact she's so quick to apologize and backtrack when questioned about her statements. Trump can say the most horrifying things and his instinct, when confronted, is to double down, and that charges up his followers. I don't want to see that from Clinton -- when she legitimately says something wrong, then an apology is fine. But if it's more like she said something right that merely discomfited the stuffy centrists, then she should stand by her statements, and even double down if appropriate. Otherwise, she seems ashamed of her own behavior, and it takes the wind out of the sails of her base.

Yes. He was an egghead and a nerd and should have been comfortable with that persona. But Hillary Clinton is different. She has a sharp wit an an instinct for the cutting comment. Yet, because of her political party and her gender, that's treated as unbecoming. She's expected to be demure and conciliatory... and she tries, which isn't her true self, so she comes across as inauthentic. I'd like to see her liberated to wield that stiletto and not browbeaten into issuing an insincere apology when she does so.
Hillary had several issues for 2016. The first of course is that she was well known by everybody and we all heard the truth and the lies about her for decades. So the GOP could get ready for her and they were. I dare say they were better prepared for her than for anybody else. However thats not where she failed. Hillary's failure came with democrats in a few states. She essentially lost due to the Green party. We all knew what the GOP intended to do and whether Trump was there or not, I still think she would have lost. Her own party did her in and has for some time.

When my eldest child was in college back in the mid 2000s her professors talked about Bill and Hillary and how they "were more republican than democrat." They talked about the third way, repeal of Glass Steagel and welfare reform. One even went so far as to say that they were traitors to democrats. So come 2016 and Bernie Sanders, it kind of didnt surprise me to see the millennials all say "he is the greatest and Hillary is a corporatist." I had seen that coming almost a decade earlier by further left professors and teachers who were out there telling students the follies of how the democratic party went to the right. These kids arent watching the news or reading the papers, they are listening to podcasts and watching YouTube shows like the "Young Turks." All of who were down on her from the get go. I dont think they thought she could lose so they spent a huge amount of time talking about the Green party, how great it would be if we could be more like Europe and have multi parties and how here the third parties cant participate in debates. It had its effect even though it was small. Its why I think dems need to be cautious. It might not matter due to Trump but certainly by 2024 dems (certainly GOP by then too) will need to figure out how centrist or left they want and can afford to go. It has to play out with these millennials coming up.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Hillary's biggest issue in 2016 was Bernie Sanders/Jill Stein supporters flipping three rust belt states to Trump
Absolutely. She lost from within her own party. Lots of people still supported Bernie or Stein on election day. Was shocked to see how many write ins Bernie got. As I understand it, not all states count write ins so it would be interesting to see how many actually wrote him in on election day. I know he got 18,000 write ins in VT alone.

Sanders grabs 18,000 write-ins to finish third in Vermont - VTDigger