Hillary Clinton quip

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Mr. Arkady,

She said all Indians looked like Gandhi?
No. As you know she didn't do that either. She made an absurdist joke based on the notion that her audience wouldn't know who Gandhi, of all people, was.

Isn't that saying all Indians looked the same?
No, it isn't. Nothing in what she said implies in any way that all Indians look the same. And that's particularly true in light of the fact she's talking about Gandhi, who is such a visually iconic figure that most people would instantly recognize an image as being of him from just a few sparse pen strokes:

There are only a few people in history as immediately recognizable as themselves as Gandhi is -- Hitler, Einstein, and Lincoln, for example.... so iconic that mistaking an image of one for anyone else is highly unlikely.

Her joke may have been lame, but to the extent it works at all, it works because of the absurdism of imagining such an iconic and other-worldly figure in such a mundane and familiar setting.

Jun 2018
US
No. As you know she didn't do that either. She made an absurdist joke based on the notion that her audience wouldn't know who Gandhi, of all people, was.

No, it isn't. Nothing in what she said implies in any way that all Indians look the same. And that's particularly true in light of the fact she's talking about Gandhi, who is such a visually iconic figure that most people would instantly recognize an image as being of him from just a few sparse pen strokes:

There are only a few people in history as immediately recognizable as themselves as Gandhi is -- Hitler, Einstein, and Lincoln, for example.... so iconic that mistaking an image of one for anyone else is highly unlikely.

Her joke may have been lame, but to the extent it works at all, it works because of the absurdism of imagining such an iconic and other-worldly figure in such a mundane and familiar setting.
Your devotion to Clinton is admirable, but for the rest of us we can see right through her facade and see a corrupt politician.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jan 2014
California

Mr. Arkady,

You have a typo there. I think you meant to say "she made a racist joke."

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Your devotion to Clinton is admirable, but for the rest of us we can see right through her facade and see a corrupt politician.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I am not devoted to her. I attack or defend her based on whether I believe she deserves to be attacked or defended on a particular question. For example, I've had plenty of knock-down-drag-out debates with Clinton apologists on the topic of her inexcusable Iraq war vote. I will strongly argue that her decision to entrust GW Bush with the decision of whether to use force in Iraq was disastrously poor judgment. And I think she's much too hawkish overall. If conservatives attack her for something like that, which makes sense, they'll have an energetic ally in me. But, unfortunately, they generally attack her for complete nonsense, like this. That forces me to defend her from their garbage.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
I disagree. I think stupid people were wrong to fault her for her smart joke. But that's "Clinton Rules" for you -- even when she does something any decent person would recognize instantly as a positive thing (wittily calling out an interviewer's error and calling attention to the problematic tendency of whites to get black people confused), because of who she is, it must be criticized. The woman literally can't even do charity work without the "Clinton Rules" turning that into a vulnerability for her. Everything she does MUST be cast into the most negative light. It's sad.... and it explains a lot about what has gone wrong in this country.
Look at it from a political point of view. There are many folks out there that are already against Clinton in general. Then of course there are the GOP. And in every group, so many folks that chat on the internet. You have a wide range of people who are going to see this as racist, from people who simply didn't get her humor, to people who deliberately want to see her in a negative light. So, why say something that gives ammunition to those that would use it against her?

Her intention doesn't matter. It's how this is perceived, and Clinton should know better.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Look at it from a political point of view.
That's exactly what I just did. The "Clinton Rules" are all about the political point of view -- it's the necessity, for strictly partisan political reasons, that absolutely everything the woman does, up to and including founding a major international charity for the mitigation of third-world poverty, MUST be taken as a negative. It's that political point of view that has caused her to be attacked for this quip.

It would be a mistake to imagine that she can avoid those attacks if she's just more careful what she says. The right-wingers and their enablers will find something to call "stupid" regardless of what she says. That opinion isn't driven by the content of her statements, but rather by their desire to fault her. Literally the only thing she could do to avoid it is to withdraw entirely from public life, so there is no available statement to criticize. And that's just what they'd like to see. Fuck 'em. They're going to see absolutely anything as providing ammunition, so better just to ignore them.