Hillary Clinton quip

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Look at it from a political point of view. There are many folks out there that are already against Clinton in general. Then of course there are the GOP. And in every group, so many folks that chat on the internet. You have a wide range of people who are going to see this as racist, from people who simply didn't get her humor, to people who deliberately want to see her in a negative light. So, why say something that gives ammunition to those that would use it against her?

Her intention doesn't matter. It's how this is perceived, and Clinton should know better.
Just in case my point isn't clear, about how there's absolutely no way for Clinton to speak in public that could avoid triggering the attacks both of the right-wingers and of the "radical centrists" who are dedicated to pretending Democrats share some blame for these outlandish right-wing critiques , think of some of the things Clinton has been faulted for saying, over the years.

Go a few posts up in this thread, and you'll be reminded of how the wingnuts reacted to her rejoinder against a Trump supporter who was scare-mongering about a taco truck on every corner. Or remember the time she defended herself against attacks on her decision to have a career, by saying "I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies and had teas, but what I decided to do was to fulfill my profession." There was insane blow-back from that, by those who pretended it insulted homemakers, and that was a media firestorm for weeks. Similarly, when she referenced the Tammy Wynette song "Stand by your man," to explain that her support for her husband wasn't just out of a sense of wifely duty, but because she loved and respected him and honored what they'd been through together, the wingnuts and their apologists pretended this was an outrageous insult of Wynette.

Not only do I think it would be wasted effort for Clinton to try to self-censor in the hopes that these disingenuous right-wingers, and their "centrist" enablers won't have "ammunition" to use against her, I think she has actually already tried too hard to do so. One constant criticism of Hillary Clinton, from the very start of her public persona, was that she was too stiff, inauthentic, and not warm enough. Some of what people reacted positively to, with Trump, is that he fired from the hip. His statements never seem focus-group-tested and well-rehearsed. They come right from his bile ducts. Clinton, in her decades-long efforts to deny people like you ammunition to use against her, constantly monitors herself, and that makes her come across as a guarded politician. Better if she'd just accepted that some people will see anything a strong woman says as legitimate "ammunition" to use against her, no matter how innocuous. Better if she'd just disregarded them entirely and been more willing to shoot from the hip occasionally. Sure, they'd have found material to attack her for over and over again, but they were going to do that no matter how guarded she might be, so who cares?

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
I won't. Most of the MSM did not run the story to protect her . They knew it would been seen as racist.
It's like educating ignorant conservatives has become a full-time job here. Most of the MSM didn't run that comment?

The Hill:
Clinton: A taco truck on every corner sounds delicious

NBC:
7 times Latinos figured into Trump’s campaign

The Guardian:

Hillary Clinton: 'A taco truck on every corner sounds delicious' – video

CNN:

Hillary Clinton: Taco truck sounds delicious – CNN

Fox News:

Hillary Clinton: A taco truck on every corner sounds 'absolutely delicious'

Univision:

https://www.univision.com/univision...k-on-every-corner-sounds-absolutely-delicious

NY Daily News:

Hillary Clinton supports putting taco trucks on every corner, says plan 'sounds absolutely delicious' - NY Daily News

Boston Globe:

Clinton pushes back on ‘Latinos for Trump’ founder for taco truck comment - The Boston Globe

ABC:

Clinton in favor of taco trucks on every corner

Baltimore Sun:

Clinton urges Latino voters to get off the sidelines

Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...presidential-election/?utm_term=.46fd3377fe0a

The New Yorker:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/a...er-eating-mexican-food-during-a-border-crisis

The Associated Press:

https://www.apnews.com/57e5516f67eb4419b374bac8144d306a

Salon.com:

https://www.salon.com/2016/09/16/the_latest_clinton_in_favor_of_taco_trucks_on_every_corner/

The Wall Street Journal:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/dog-bites-trump-1475768605

It was covered by pretty much the entirety of the main stream media, from the tabloid right (Rupert Murdoch sewers like Fox News and the WSJ), through the respected center (WaPo), to more liberal outlets (like Salon). Nobody thought it sounded racist, though some far right-wing know-nothings pretended they thought so, for political effect.

Jun 2018
US
It's like educating ignorant conservatives has become a full-time job here. Most of the MSM didn't run that comment?

The Hill:
Clinton: A taco truck on every corner sounds delicious

NBC:
7 times Latinos figured into Trump’s campaign

The Guardian:

Hillary Clinton: 'A taco truck on every corner sounds delicious' – video

CNN:

Hillary Clinton: Taco truck sounds delicious – CNN

Fox News:

Hillary Clinton: A taco truck on every corner sounds 'absolutely delicious'

Univision:

https://www.univision.com/univision...k-on-every-corner-sounds-absolutely-delicious

NY Daily News:

Hillary Clinton supports putting taco trucks on every corner, says plan 'sounds absolutely delicious' - NY Daily News

Boston Globe:

Clinton pushes back on ‘Latinos for Trump’ founder for taco truck comment - The Boston Globe

ABC:

Clinton in favor of taco trucks on every corner

Baltimore Sun:

Clinton urges Latino voters to get off the sidelines

Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...presidential-election/?utm_term=.46fd3377fe0a

The New Yorker:

The Absurdity of Trump Officials Eating at Mexican Restaurants During an Immigration Crisis

The Associated Press:

The Latest: Trump jokes about taking a pay cut if president

Salon.com:

The Latest: Clinton in favor of taco trucks on every corner

The Wall Street Journal:

Dog Bites Trump

It was covered by pretty much the entirety of the main stream media, from the tabloid right (Rupert Murdoch sewers like Fox News and the WSJ), through the respected center (WaPo), to more liberal outlets (like Salon). Nobody thought it sounded racist, though some far right-wing know-nothings pretended they thought so, for political effect.
Did not see on your list her latest gaffe.

Who is ignorant?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
But thats in part optics as well. Some consider Trump a reality star, who is an entertainer. So they figure he knows nothing about politics and they expect him to say stupid untrue things for attention. Its kind of like if Snookie became president, what would you expect of her? Clinton, on the other hand, is a highly educated woman who has spent a lifetime in law and politics so she knows the game in excruciating detail. Is there a double standard? You bet. But when we have people saying half the voters are dumb and uneducated there is a perception that they will believe anything and so when they do, people just shrug. But if you are a Clinton, thats not accepted or tolerated. More than half her supporters were college educated white collar professionals so they are held to a certain standard. You wouldnt expect the same optic from a mechanic vs a surgeon so this isnt really different. GW Bush, who was considered a bit of a buffoon, also had poor optics. Many couldnt figure out how the wealthy son of a famous Ivy league family could behave that way. He often was referred to as the black sheep of the family.
I think this attempt by Democrats to hold themselves (and their leaders) to much higher standards backfires. I think it's part of why so many on the left are perceived as stiff and inauthentic (e.g., Gore, Kerry, Dukakis, and Hillary Clinton), or as off-putting egg-heads, forever couching their words in caveats and equivocations, for fear of contradicting themselves or later being proven wrong. They're so busy monitoring themselves to avoid handing their enemies anything they could use as ammunition, that they come across as overly cautious and phony -- the kind of thing that makes dummies on the right embrace Trump because "he's not a politician" (by which they mean he's the kind of simple-minded braying asshole they hang out with).

That effort is bound to fail, because the right doesn't need any real ammunition -- if a Democrat doesn't give them something to use, they'll just invent something (like Gore's non-existent "I invented the Internet" line). I think Democrats would do better to be a bit more like LBJ or Bill Clinton -- willing to let it all hang out. That doesn't mean they have to become the kind of race-baiting, homophobic, xenophobic monsters who have taken over the GOP. But they shouldn't be second-guessing everything before they say it

This made me think of a good set of lines from Emerson, which function as a rejoinder to those who would be over-cautious for fear of contradicting themselves:

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. . . . Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. . . . To be great is to be misunderstood. "

Or, as Whitman put it in verse:

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

Jun 2018
US
I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

You.... though less so since my latest attempt to educate you.
Don't get all condescending with me.

I don't need to be "educated " by YOU.

Your ignorance of me and others that do not agree with you is repugnant.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Don't get all condescending with me.
If it hurts your feelings to have someone talk down to you, educate yourself. Then you won't constantly have to be educated by people like me. For example, before posting the falsehood about most of the MSM not running the story, spend the 10 seconds on Google it would take to convince you that, in fact, pretty much every major outlet ran the story.

Jun 2018
US
If it hurts your feelings to have someone talk down to you, educate yourself. Then you won't constantly have to be educated by people like me. For example, before posting the falsehood about most of the MSM not running the story, spend the 10 seconds on Google it would take to convince you that, in fact, pretty much every major outlet ran the story.
Actually I did , before I posted it.

Mostly conservative sites and the one site i posted.

At the time i did not see one word from CNN, ABC, NBC, etc . You know the liberal news cheerleaders.

Anyway i wasn't hurt just showing your repugnant attitude towards me those who dont agree with you.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Actually I did , before I posted it.

Mostly conservative sites and the one site i posted.

At the time i did not see one word from CNN, ABC, NBC, etc . You know the liberal news cheerleaders.

Anyway i wasn't hurt just showing your repugnant attitude towards me those who dont agree with you.

This was not a hard search. Google "taco truck" "absolutely delicious" and "Clinton" and it turns up thousands of hits, including the Hill, Univision, the Boston Globe, ABC, C-Span, the New Yorker, the Washington Post, the Today show, and NBC News -- and that's just the first four pages of results. I just timed myself. From the moment before I opened a browser tab to the moment when I scrolled through the fourth page of results took 18 seconds.