Homeless, assaulted, broke: drivers left behind as Uber promises change at the top.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
Casmir Patterson, 32, found early on in her Uber-driving career that she preferred to work late nights, when the LA traffic was more tolerable and when she could provide rides to women looking for a safe way to get home. But on 13 June 2016, during her last ride of the night, three intoxicated men entered her vehicle in West Hollywood and she quickly sensed trouble. One of her passengers sounded like he was going to vomit in her car. She pulled over and asked the trio to leave. They refused, and then dragged her into her backseat where they started punching her. “I thought I was going to die,” she told the Guardian.

Casmir Patterson says she was assaulted while working for Uber in LA. She ended up living out of her leased Uber vehicle as a result of mounting payments. Casmir Patterson says she was assaulted while working for Uber in LA. She ended up living out of her leased Uber vehicle as a result of mounting payments. Photograph: Brad Torchia for the Observer
The men eventually fled, but not before kicking the outside of her car and running off with her keys.

Patterson called police and reported the incident to Uber in the hope that the company could track down her attackers and help her with medical bills. But the criminal investigation went nowhere, and Uber, she said, did little to support her. LA police did not respond to repeated inquiries. A week before the incident, Patterson had signed a lease through Uber’s vehicle loan program, known as Xchange. She was required to pay weekly fees of about $146. As a result, Patterson had no choice but to keep driving for Uber, despite suffering from post-traumatic stress stemming from the attack as well damaged vision in her right eye.

It’s just been a domino effect. It’s really ruined my life
Casmir Patterson “I just felt like I was trapped, like I was an Uber slave,” she said, noting that she could barely drive enough hours to make the car payments. Unable to keep up with her bills, she ended up living out of her leased Uber vehicle for about a month until, running of options, she moved back home to Chicago, where she fell further into debt before her car was repossessed. “It’s just been a domino effect,” she said. “It’s really ruined my life.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/17/uber-drivers-homeless-assault-travis-kalanick#img-3

Pre-regulation, the taxi business was an unregulated mess of low profits and disorganized price undercutting.

Uber took a respectable business and destroyed it with cheep labor, over saturation of its product and dangerous working conditions.

Reactions: 4 people

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Uber (or, rather, the individuals involved) would then be an accessory to the crime under California law:

Law section
"Every person who, after a felony has been committed, harbors, conceals or aids a principal in such felony, with the intent that said principal may avoid or escape from arrest, trial, conviction or punishment, having knowledge that said principal has committed such felony or has been charged with such felony or convicted thereof, is an accessory to such felony."

Shocking that the police investigation went "nowhere."

Reactions: 1 person
Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
With Austin, Texas in the news now about the bombings there I recall reading a report not long ago of how Austin had required Uber and Lyft to provide fingerprints of their drivers as part of their registration process, something as simple as that, but they had apparently refused and instead left town. However, the Texas Republican Legislature quickly passed a law that would override what Austin required that would allow them to return to Austin to do business there and they went back. Many were very upset and vowed not to do business with them again according to reports.

Last edited:
Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
Easy money is never easy.
That's right it isn't. But after this happening it appears certain that the Uber drivers need to seek a contract with the company assuring them that they will be taken care of properly in the event of a mishap or occurrence such as the one being reported. The drivers need to get together on this to assure their safety and their job security.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
That's right it isn't. But after this happening it appears certain that the Uber drivers need to seek a contract with the company assuring them that they will be taken care of properly in the event of a mishap or occurrence such as the one being reported. The drivers need to get together on this to assure their safety and their job security.
It runs much deeper than this. Uber is a blight upon our economy. It has ruined tens of thousands of lives. It did it out of greed.

Reactions: 2 people