Homeowner Kills Intruder, Then Cops Kill Homeowner

Nov 2013
NY
How could the homeowner know the threat had been neutralized?

I agree this is a massive problem, and ironically, this story also illustrates why home defense is important.

But not how the homeowner could have avoided being shot.
Well, the guy with the gun, who apparently shot the intruder, who was lying dead on the bathroom floor.. HE should have been able to know that he eliminated the threat, no ? Apparently he evacuated the scene of the shooting (the bathroom), and was mistaken by police for the male armed intruder.

if he had time - and the confidence - to retrieve from the armed intruder after he shot him - and again, i don't know what is the "normal" reaction in such a highly adrenalin and stress filled situation - he should have dropped his weapon.. especially if he was aware that police was on its way.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Well, the guy with the gun, who apparently shot the intruder, who was lying dead on the bathroom floor.. HE should have been able to know that he eliminated the threat, no ? Apparently he evacuated the scene of the shooting (the bathroom), and was mistaken by police for the male armed intruder.

if he had time - and the confidence - to retrieve from the armed intruder after he shot him - and again, i don't know what is the "normal" reaction in such a highly adrenalin and stress filled situation - he should have dropped his weapon.. especially if he was aware that police was on its way.
What's the likelihood that he would have threatened the police? I'd think its pretty low, since he was (as far as I know) a law abiding citizen. The police killed him based on a perceived threat and their perception was wrong. In my opinion, the bar for police shoots needs to be set higher. They draw and use their weapons way too quickly. If they were more conservative in their approach, setting a parameter, gathering information on what's going on inside, maybe calling, etc... then they would not likely had made that mistake. Because they were too aggressive, they own the mistake and are at fault in a bad shoot. (not a legally bad shoot, just my opinion)

If the police are more conservative and some folks die at the hands of bad guys because of it, that will not be the police's fault. The police should operate in a safe and methodical manner so that when they chose to end someone's life, they are right.

Reactions: 6 people
Oct 2013
USA
I think it depends on how you handle the 911 call. My friends son moved out on his own in Cleveland at a fairly young age and shot at a intruder through his front door. It was early in the morning and his dogs alerted him something was wrong. He called out in case it was someone he knew and no answer. When the door knob turned he fired a .22 rifle through the door. He called the police, told them what happened and they told him to go outside and sit on his porch and leave the gun inside. When the cops arrived, there was blood on the sidewalk, but no intruder or body was found. He was unarmed and the cops had him lay face down on the ground as they searched the house. He told the cops where to find the rifle and it was laying on the kitchen table, with the magazine out of it. He was calm at the time and the police took his statement and left the premises. If all hell is still breaking loose out of panic...I can see how something like this could happen.
That is a great example. In the chaos of the 911 call even if the operator doesn't ask, tell them you have a gun so they can give directions. Anything short of that is a form of suicide. Just as bad cops should not shoot unarmed people, armed people can't expect cops to know they are the homeowner when all the cops see is someone with a gun.

Reactions: 3 people
Jun 2014
United States

In that situation, how would you know that there was only one intruder?

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
So, what do y'all think? Was this a "good shoot" for the cops?

(Newser) – Police say "a very chaotic and violent scene" greeted officers who were called to an Aurora, Colo., home over reports of a home invasion early Monday—and amid that chaos, a man who lived in the home was shot and killed by an officer. Around 1:30am, multiple 911 calls came in about a disturbance, including one call from an adult female who said an adult male was breaking into her home, the Aurora PD says in a press release. When police arrived, they heard gunshots fired inside the house, then encountered an armed adult male. An officer fatally shot that man, but when clearing the home to make sure it was safe, officers found the actual intruder dead on the bathroom floor; the armed male killed by police was a resident of the home who, police believe, had shot and killed the intruder.

Homeowner Kills Intruder, Then Cops Kill Homeowner
WTF? Do the cops just bust in and kill anyone that is armed???

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Oct 2013
USA
It's obvious the police are poorly trained or not trained to handle situations.

The third alternative, they just wish to kill for the adrenaline rush. Who knows?
I disagree. No one should expect cops on a 911 call to not shoot someone coming toward them with a gun. People with guns really have a life and death responsibility to let 911 know they have a gun. Why assume cops know you are the good guy?

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
That is a great example. In the chaos of the 911 call even if the operator doesn't ask, tell them you have a gun so they can give directions. Anything short of that is a form of suicide. Just as bad cops should not shoot unarmed people, armed people can't expect cops to know they are the homeowner when all the cops see is someone with a gun.
I agree. He did not place the call through 911, he called the precinct directly. Sometimes I think 911 operators will escalate the situation.

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
It's dreadful that anyone loses their life. But in a land of gun mayhem, it's a regular story.

Let's be honest, on the whole, American cops are gun crazy.
The assumption is every citizen is carrying a gun. Cops are going to act accordingly. And now we can make our own unregistered guns, how is that going to bite us in the ass.

Reactions: 1 person
Jun 2014
United States
I agree. He did not place the call through 911, he called the precinct directly. Sometimes I think 911 operators will escalate the situation.

They don't always relate all of the relevant information. For instance, that little kid who was shot in the park with a toy gun, 911 callers had told the operators that they believed the gun was a toy, but the police officers said that they weren't informed of that.

Reactions: 1 person