Homophobia

Nov 2015
UK
In my sex Ed classyears ago The kids said that homosexuality was a choice. I asked them if heterosexuality was a choice and they really couldn’t answer it. I said to them if homosexuality is a choice your homework is to choose someone of your own gender to be attracted to. Of course it was done tongue in cheek but we do not choose we are attracted to. What I am attracted to someone might think is unattractive and vice a versa
It's maybe not a choice to be who you are but you can choose how to react. A heterosexual nun maybe can't choose being straight but she chooses a life of celibacy.

Feb 2011
Ever changing
What people do not understand about the Bible is "There are no modern times." with regards to the Bible. As I said above the "word" is eternal. What would one expect of a text that promises eternal life. The word is eternal and therefore the promise. If the word were changeable, so to would be the promise. There are ramifications to changing the words of the Bible in Revelations.

Feb 2011
Ever changing
Yes I did to explain the concept of free will. Free will is not bound to the Bible. It exists regardless of the Bible. One does not have to believe in the Bible in order to have free will. It is an innate element of Humankind. Now there would be some who would like to remove free will. This is usually done though coercion.

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
To me, the entire concept of homosexuality being a choice, a lifestyle, or a sin is nonsensical. I also don't see any evidence supporting a gay gene or a straight gene - as another poster pointed out sexuality is much more complex than that (but its effects are fairly straight forward).

There are of course people who are bisexual and are physically attracted to members of their own and the opposite sex, but most of us are heterosexual, with a small percentage being homosexual. It is not certain at which stage of our development that this clear sexual preference develops, but what is certain (from both personal experience, and studies,) is that no one teaches us our particular sexual orientation.

E.g: I attended an all-boys boarding school, wherein no one was induced us to be homosexual or extolled the virtues of homosexuality - yet there was a very small percentage of sexual activity between boys. Some of that may have been simply adolescent experimentation (and/or the result of adolescent frustration,) but I expect the same 5 to 10% of those adolescents went on to become homosexual in adult life. I also expect the percentage would have remained a constant whether the school encouraged homosexuality or otherwise. Sexual orientation is simply not a learnt reaction.

I am sure that the majority of males here were not taught or influenced to find females sexually attractive at any particular stage of their development - it simply occurred naturally as a result of becoming sexually mature.

I expect the taboos against homosexuality originated in pre-religious times, where the size of the tribe was of existential importance, and those who chose not to breed were considered antisocial in a sense. Organised religion probably took up what it saw as a popular cause, and we have such religious prohibitions - based upon little other than pragmatic and popular concepts - today. It is an unfortunate characteristic of the immature psyche to need someone upon whom to look down, and 'the other' is always a convenient and popular choice, particularly with those afflicted with the herd mentality.

Reactions: Blues63

Blues63

Dec 2014
Mustafa
To me, the entire concept of homosexuality being a choice, a lifestyle, or a sin is nonsensical. I also don't see any evidence supporting a gay gene or a straight gene - as another poster pointed out sexuality is much more complex than that (but its effects are fairly straight forward).

There are of course people who are bisexual and are physically attracted to members of their own and the opposite sex, but most of us are heterosexual, with a small percentage being homosexual. It is not certain at which stage of our development that this clear sexual preference develops, but what is certain (from both personal experience, and studies,) is that no one teaches us our particular sexual orientation.

E.g: I attended an all-boys boarding school, wherein no one was induced us to be homosexual or extolled the virtues of homosexuality - yet there was a very small percentage of sexual activity between boys. Some of that may have been simply adolescent experimentation (and/or the result of adolescent frustration,) but I expect the same 5 to 10% of those adolescents went on to become homosexual in adult life. I also expect the percentage would have remained a constant whether the school encouraged homosexuality or otherwise. Sexual orientation is simply not a learnt reaction.

I am sure that the majority of males here were not taught or influenced to find females sexually attractive at any particular stage of their development - it simply occurred naturally as a result of becoming sexually mature.

I expect the taboos against homosexuality originated in pre-religious times, where the size of the tribe was of existential importance, and those who chose not to breed were considered antisocial in a sense. Organised religion probably took up what it saw as a popular cause, and we have such religious prohibitions - based upon little other than pragmatic and popular concepts - today. It is an unfortunate characteristic of the immature psyche to need someone upon whom to look down, and 'the other' is always a convenient and popular choice, particularly with those afflicted with the herd mentality.
Well stated.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Yes I did to explain the concept of free will. Free will is not bound to the Bible. It exists regardless of the Bible. One does not have to believe in the Bible in order to have free will. It is an innate element of Humankind. Now there would be some who would like to remove free will. This is usually done though coercion.
sorry if I gave the impression that I'm interested in your interpretation of the Bible . I'm really not .