Homophobia

Feb 2011
Ever changing
To me, the entire concept of homosexuality being a choice, a lifestyle, or a sin is nonsensical. I also don't see any evidence supporting a gay gene or a straight gene - as another poster pointed out sexuality is much more complex than that (but its effects are fairly straight forward).

There are of course people who are bisexual and are physically attracted to members of their own and the opposite sex, but most of us are heterosexual, with a small percentage being homosexual. It is not certain at which stage of our development that this clear sexual preference develops, but what is certain (from both personal experience, and studies,) is that no one teaches us our particular sexual orientation.

E.g: I attended an all-boys boarding school, wherein no one was induced us to be homosexual or extolled the virtues of homosexuality - yet there was a very small percentage of sexual activity between boys. Some of that may have been simply adolescent experimentation (and/or the result of adolescent frustration,) but I expect the same 5 to 10% of those adolescents went on to become homosexual in adult life. I also expect the percentage would have remained a constant whether the school encouraged homosexuality or otherwise. Sexual orientation is simply not a learnt reaction.

I am sure that the majority of males here were not taught or influenced to find females sexually attractive at any particular stage of their development - it simply occurred naturally as a result of becoming sexually mature.

I expect the taboos against homosexuality originated in pre-religious times, where the size of the tribe was of existential importance, and those who chose not to breed were considered antisocial in a sense. Organised religion probably took up what it saw as a popular cause, and we have such religious prohibitions - based upon little other than pragmatic and popular concepts - today. It is an unfortunate characteristic of the immature psyche to need someone upon whom to look down, and 'the other' is always a convenient and popular choice, particularly with those afflicted with the herd mentality.
You say that the "immature psyche to need someone upon whom to look down." Does the characteristic of the immature psyche need to drive a family out of the business of baking cakes and threaten them and the lives of their children? Do they need to Doxx them and follow their children to school and threaten the family with their knowledge of their children's daily schedule? Does it include taking them to court? Does it include standing out in front of their house and screaming for hours of how hateful they are simply because they said they would not bake a cake for a gay wedding? I think the mature psyche would simply find another baker to do their bidding.

Jul 2016
Florida
So, why the heck did Jesus spend most of his time on Earth hanging out with a dozen DUDES? Can you tell me that?

And never did get together with Mary Magdalene either :D

Bloody suspicious, you know...
And wore long gowns and had long hair...

Reactions: The Man

CtC

Mar 2019
California
You say that the "immature psyche to need someone upon whom to look down." Does the characteristic of the immature psyche need to drive a family out of the business of baking cakes and threaten them and the lives of their children? Do they need to Doxx them and follow their children to school and threaten the family with their knowledge of their children's daily schedule? Does it include taking them to court? Does it include standing out in front of their house and screaming for hours of how hateful they are simply because they said they would not bake a cake for a gay wedding? I think the mature psyche would simply find another baker to do their bidding.
Trouble is ,it is not their "Orientation" that does. It is being a good little lefty. Destroying business for political reasons is what "Activists" do.

Oct 2014
Galaxy ZRF
Jesus was preparing the "dudes" who were Apostles, to go out into the world and preach the good news. Jesus knew he was going to die, so he was preparing them for what they had to do.

Jesus was their teacher and for anyone to suggest He was interested in worldly things, have no concept of why He came to earth and what he was about to do.
Psst...you forgot to capitalize that last “he” you wrote...might want to fix that, don’t know if it’s a sin or not...never mind. Too late, Jeebus recognizes the back of your head. He knew you were going to make that mistake a long time ago, changing it now would be an extra heavenly demerit on your record.

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
We were discussing the issue of homophobia, not the actions of those objecting to homophobia. You little tirade is a complete non-sequitur, but as far as the actions you allege - I am inclined to agree that the simpler alternative would be to find another baker and avoid all that sturm un drang.

However - and this is important - neither you nor I are homosexual, so we are not in the position to experience the same degree of affront that gay couple might have felt at the refusal of service.

Last edited:
Recent Similar Discussions Forum Date
Current Events