Horns are growing on young people’s skulls. Phone use is to blame, research suggests.

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
Horns are growing on young people’s skulls. Phone use is to blame, research suggests.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/06/20/horns-are-growing-young-peoples-skulls-phone-use-is-blame-research-suggests/?utm_term=.19b06653b046

Mobile technology has transformed the way we live — how we read, work, communicate, shop and date.

But we already know this.

What we have not yet grasped is the way the tiny machines in front of us are remolding our skeletons, possibly altering not just the behaviors we exhibit but the bodies we inhabit.

New research in biomechanics suggests that young people are developing hornlike spikes at the back of their skulls — bone spurs caused by the forward tilt of the head, which shifts weight from the spine to the muscles at the back of the head, causing bone growth in the connecting tendons and ligaments. The weight transfer that causes the buildup can be compared to the way the skin thickens into a callus as a response to pressure or abrasion.

The result is a hook or hornlike feature jutting out from the skull, just above the neck.

************************************************************************************************

Are Cell Phones the devil?

Jul 2015
Florida
I got laughed at when I mentioned this (out of my own brain) at least 10 years ago. I was watching the` head tilt and thought of the spine while LITTLE skeletons were still growing. I did NOT

PS BONE SPURS in the head? Does anyone know how painful bone spurs can be in the feet? (TRUMP SHOULD KNOW). Don't know if these will be benign or exerting pressure, causing pain. Not good.

May 2012
By the wall
I read their study and there is an awful lot of extrapolation in it.

This is a condition that's happened since humans have existed, its not a new thing, but they noticed an increase and are really trying hard to tie it into cell phone use but they seem to be stretching to attain those results.

They never attained anything close to conclusive proof however.

Their sample size was only 1200 people and they gave them a cell phone then measured the tilt of their head, did some equations and said that is the reason for the spurs.

While I can't verify their findings are wrong we also cannot verify that they are correct.

Further research shows that this is usually caused by genetics but that would not explain an increase.

Reactions: Rev. Hellh0und

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
I got laughed at when I mentioned this (out of my own brain) at least 10 years ago. I was watching the` head tilt and thought of the spine while LITTLE skeletons were still growing. I did NOT

PS BONE SPURS in the head? Does anyone know how painful bone spurs can be in the feet? (TRUMP SHOULD KNOW). Don't know if these will be benign or exerting pressure, causing pain. Not good.

Post 2 and someones bringing trump up . /facepalm

I do give you credit though for most of your posts on topic content.