House Democrats have not asked IG to testify on Comey or Fisa Investigations

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Horowitz says Democrats haven’t asked him to testify on Comey or FISA reports

Will they?

1) Of course! They believe in legitimate oversight of the government.

2) Of course not! They will only pursue things that reinforce their biases!

3) Who the hell is Horowitz?

4) I plead the 5th.

5) Can we discuss Trump please?

Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz says Democrats running the House Oversight and Judiciary Committees haven’t asked him to testify about his recent report on James Comey nor his upcoming report on the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

Horowitz, speaking to the House Oversight Committee, testified Wednesday that Oversight Chairman Elijah Cummings and Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler hadn’t asked him to testify to Congress about his report on the former FBI director’s mishandling of his memos nor about his upcoming report on possible abuse of the FISA Court by the DOJ and FBI. The report on potential FISA abuse was given to Attorney General William Barr last week, according to Horowitz’s letter to Congress.

Rep. Jim Jordan asked if he’d been contacted by those Democrat-controlled committees to testify.

“No, I have not,” Horowitz told the Ohio Republican. “I don’t believe there have been any discussions.”

Horowitz suggested he spoke with the committees about the timing of the FISA report’s release, but not testifying about it.

Sep 2016
My own world
Horowitz says Democrats haven’t asked him to testify on Comey or FISA reports

Will they?

1) Of course! They believe in legitimate oversight of the government.

2) Of course not! They will only pursue things that reinforce their biases!

3) Who the hell is Horowitz?

4) I plead the 5th.

5) Can we discuss Trump please?
Comey wasn't charged and the FlSA warrants were lawful as they were signed by several different judges. Why hasn't the Republican lead committee in the Senate called Horowitz if there are issues?

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Comey wasn't charged and the FlSA warrants were lawful as they were signed by several different judges. Why hasn't the Republican lead committee in the Senate called Horowitz if there are issues?
The Horowitz Fisa report is on the way. What you may be missing is that applicants to the Fisa court must follow certain disclosure and validation processes. You can get the signature, but you are also subject to audit on how you got it. The Fisa court does not investigate the investigators but the Inspector General does. If an applicant misrepresents sources, for example, they can be indicted.

I am assuming that once the report is published, both houses of congress will consider having discussions with the IG. Here are some examples from the past.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?446817-1/doj-inspector-general-michael-horowitz-testifies-clinton-email-probe-report

https://www.justice.gov/file/1071991/download

Justice Department Inspector General Report on Handling of Comey Memos

https://www.c-span.org/video/?458895-1/role-inspectors-general