House democrats propose pay raise for Congress

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
This seems to be going over like a lead balloon..

House spending leaders want to break a decadelong pay freeze and give members of Congress a cost-of-living bump that could pad their salaries with an extra $4,500 next year.

Congressional salaries have been frozen at about $174,000 since 2009, when Democrats controlled Congress and decided to suspend automatic cost-of-living increases while heading into the 2010 election year.

Under current law, lawmakers would receive a 2.6 percent pay adjustment, or $4,500, in January. But boosting congressional pay is always politically difficult. “I think the American people would think that Congress ought to earn it first,” Senate Appropriations Chairman Richard Shelby (R-Ala.) told reporters this week.

House Democrats propose $4,500 pay raise for Congress

Apr 2019
Southeast
I'd like to see some of THEIR tax returns. They make that fairly modest amount annually but many are multi millionaires. Pedaling influence sure is lucrative business!

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
This is hilarious. Of all the problems and the needs of this Country....they spend time working on raises for themselves. Congress isn't worth their salary now and a raise is absurd. All they do is spew stupidity on social media and write..."Please be nice" bills.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I've heard every Congress identified as "the worst Congress in history," or some such similar language. I certainly oppose a pay raise for them, though, at least until they give minimum wage workers a pay raise, too (which also has not gone up since 2009).

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
This seems to be going over like a lead balloon..

House spending leaders want to break a decadelong pay freeze and give members of Congress a cost-of-living bump that could pad their salaries with an extra $4,500 next year.

Congressional salaries have been frozen at about $174,000 since 2009, when Democrats controlled Congress and decided to suspend automatic cost-of-living increases while heading into the 2010 election year.

Under current law, lawmakers would receive a 2.6 percent pay adjustment, or $4,500, in January. But boosting congressional pay is always politically difficult. “I think the American people would think that Congress ought to earn it first,” Senate Appropriations Chairman Richard Shelby (R-Ala.) told reporters this week.

House Democrats propose $4,500 pay raise for Congress
Those congress members are clever little rascals. They have set it up so that the raise will happen automatically unless there is an actual action initiated and taken to stop it.

So they will get the raise and they can all hold up their hands and swear "i didn't vote for a raise!".

<giggle>

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Those congress members are clever little rascals. They have set it up so that the raise will happen automatically unless there is an actual action initiated and taken to stop it.
Which is how the 27th Amendment was rendered essentially meaningless.