House votes for Mueller report's public release

Jul 2017
U.S.A.
Unanimously!
I would think everyone on both sides of the fence would want this.
Discuss.

House votes for Mueller report's public release

The House of Representatives on Thursday passed a resolution calling for special counsel Robert Mueller's report to be released to the public once it is completed.
The vote was overwhelmingly bipartisan, with 420 members voting in favor of the resolution and zero voting against it. Four Republicans voted present.
The resolution is not legally binding, but passing it gives Democrats an opportunity to keep a spotlight on the issue as they work to put pressure on the Justice Department to disclose as much of Mueller's findings in the special counsel's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election as possible.
The resolution calls for whatever report Mueller gives the attorney general to be publicly released in full, with the exception of classified or grand jury information. It also calls for the entire report to be given to Congress.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
I imagine this will be left to William Barr.
We'll see if he's bought and paid for.
something tells me he'll release it to Congress. If he doesn't there's going to be a big fight over it. I can't think of any reason why they'd be able to legally keep it from the public. Other than how the special counsel law is written. Anyone out there that knows. Please explain why they can't change the wording of the law , if they have this much bi-partisan support in Congress?

Last edited:

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
something tells me he's release it to Congress. If he doesn't there's going to be a big fight over it. I can't think of any reason why they'd be able to legally keep it from the public. Other than how the special counsel law is written. Anyone out there that knows. Please explain why they can't change the wording of the law , if they have this much bi-partisan support in Congress?
I believe it would also have to pass by the Senate, which is never going to happen.

I give kudos though to the GOP house members who voted for this.

And agree if Barr does not release it to the public, all hell will break loose. I'm sure anything classified in the documents could just be redacted.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Good on the GOP for voting for transparency. Whether Trump is vindicated, eviscerated, or anything between... I'm glad to see a bipartisan decision like this.
Looks like it will not pass the Senate because of Graham.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) on Thursday blocked a resolution calling for special counsel Robert Mueller's report to be made public after it passed the House unanimously.

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) asked for unanimous consent for the nonbinding resolution, which cleared the House 420-0, to be passed by the Senate before they leave town for a weeklong recess. "There is no good reason, no good reason that the special counsel's report should not be made public. The American people are overwhelmingly for the report being made public. They have a right to see it. No one should stand in the way of that," Schumer said from the Senate floor.

But Graham, a close ally of Trump's who chairs the Judiciary Committee, objected after Schumer refused to amend the House-passed resolution to include a provision calling on the Justice Department (DOJ) to appoint a special counsel to investigate DOJ misconduct in the handling of the investigation into 2016 Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton's email use and the Carter Page Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act applications.

Graham stressed that he supported Mueller's probe into Russian interference in the 2016 election, and predicted that it would wrap up shortly. But he added that he had been "trying to find balance" by also supporting an investigation into Clinton-related scandals. "Was there two systems of justice in 2016? One for the Democratic candidate and one for the Republican candidate?" Graham asked. Under Senate rules, any one senator can try to pass or set up a vote on a bill, resolution or nomination. But, in turn, any one senator can block their request.

Graham blocks resolution calling for Mueller report to be made public

Guess we will see which GOP member of the Senate has the guts to stand up to Graham.