How a Democrat can win over a NeverTrumper

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Interesting piece, thoughts?

Dear 2020 Democrats—all 23 of you who are running for president:

You are itching to be rid of Donald Trump. Who can blame you? Of course, if this were a normal Republican presidency, I would not share your feelings. Not remotely. As a lifelong conservative, I think your policy ideas are ill-advised. But this cycle, other Trump-disgusted Republicans and I can contemplate voting Democrat. We could do so not because we’ve become progressives, but because we think it’s in the long-term interests of conservatism and the country to be rid of Trump.

You may think you don’t need us—but you’d be wrong. Trump was elected with the lowest approval ratings of any major candidate in history. Polls can disguise as well as reveal. The “shy Tory” phenomenon—in which voters seem disinclined to tell pollsters that they support conservatives—is real across the globe, as evidenced most recently by the upset victory of the conservatives (called “liberals”) in Australia. Right-wing populism continues to show strength worldwide as recent election results in Brazil, India, Hungary, Poland and the Philippines attest.

Remember that your 2018 victories were not a left-wing triumph. Your 40-seat pickup was due in no small measure to Republicans and independents who voted Democrat. In other words: Voters like me.

Democrats are well-positioned to win in 2020 by embracing political normalcy again. But that’s not the tone you are adopting. First, you seem taken with the idea of executive overreach. This is precisely the kind of power grab that Trump engaged in when declaring his spurious state of emergency to redirect funds to his border wall. And though Democrats’ frustration with his lawlessness is justified, this would represent a total vindication of it. Second, have some respect for the norms and institutions that undergird our system’s stability. You claim to be dismayed by Trump’s norm-shattering ways, and yet your proposals are political earthquakes.

There’s a clear way forward, Democrats, and it is grounded in the Constitution. No sweeping, federalism-smashing plans to overhaul everything in the name of your preferred policies. And please, don’t call for the abolition of traditions and constitutional structures, like the Electoral College, that make voters nervous about your stewardship.

How a Democrat Can Win Over a Never-Trumper

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Another reason to nominate a moderate Democrat with a Progressive VP. I would even take an almost 80 year old Biden at this point..

Reactions: MaryAnne
Jun 2014
United States
I like Biden, I just cant get past his age, fucker is even older than me, and I have one foot in the grave...

Yeah, I know how old he is. Still, he's remained the leading candidate for the Democrats and he likely represents their best chance at winning in 2020.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Interesting piece, thoughts?

Dear 2020 Democrats—all 23 of you who are running for president:

You are itching to be rid of Donald Trump. Who can blame you? Of course, if this were a normal Republican presidency, I would not share your feelings. Not remotely. As a lifelong conservative, I think your policy ideas are ill-advised. But this cycle, other Trump-disgusted Republicans and I can contemplate voting Democrat. We could do so not because we’ve become progressives, but because we think it’s in the long-term interests of conservatism and the country to be rid of Trump.

You may think you don’t need us—but you’d be wrong. Trump was elected with the lowest approval ratings of any major candidate in history. Polls can disguise as well as reveal. The “shy Tory” phenomenon—in which voters seem disinclined to tell pollsters that they support conservatives—is real across the globe, as evidenced most recently by the upset victory of the conservatives (called “liberals”) in Australia. Right-wing populism continues to show strength worldwide as recent election results in Brazil, India, Hungary, Poland and the Philippines attest.

Remember that your 2018 victories were not a left-wing triumph. Your 40-seat pickup was due in no small measure to Republicans and independents who voted Democrat. In other words: Voters like me.

Democrats are well-positioned to win in 2020 by embracing political normalcy again. But that’s not the tone you are adopting. First, you seem taken with the idea of executive overreach. This is precisely the kind of power grab that Trump engaged in when declaring his spurious state of emergency to redirect funds to his border wall. And though Democrats’ frustration with his lawlessness is justified, this would represent a total vindication of it. Second, have some respect for the norms and institutions that undergird our system’s stability. You claim to be dismayed by Trump’s norm-shattering ways, and yet your proposals are political earthquakes.

There’s a clear way forward, Democrats, and it is grounded in the Constitution. No sweeping, federalism-smashing plans to overhaul everything in the name of your preferred policies. And please, don’t call for the abolition of traditions and constitutional structures, like the Electoral College, that make voters nervous about your stewardship.

How a Democrat Can Win Over a Never-Trumper
Word. Well said, great article.

In all my "Let's Have A Talk Democrats" writing on this site I forgot to tell them they needed us. But that was the sentiment.

Reactions: Jets and MaryAnne
Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Biden/ Warren. Biden the stabilzer who can repair the harm done. Warren to help knock out the billionaire Plutocracy

I can not believe I am using that word..

Reactions: bajisima
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Biden/ Warren. Biden the stabilzer who can repair the harm done. Warren to help knock out the billionaire Plutocracy

I can not believe I am using that word..
Would be a good ticket but I fear they are too old. Biden is going to need a very young VP to balance him out.