How Capitalism Works.

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
A well known fact, that. Did you have a point when you said "We're free-market businesses for which people can choose to work or quit", as if Wallmart or UPS is somehow different?
*Groan*

Okay, let's break it down:

Small business isn't necessarily capitalism in the context of the OP. Yes, technically it's made possible by an economic system in which capital goods are privately owned. But it has more to do with "free market" than capitalism. It would be more precise to say it's a matter of degree of exploitation we're talking about, but I usually assume most people get the simplification for the sake of argument.

I do maintain that a blacksmith hiring someone to stoke his fire isn't a very good example of capitalism.

Apr 2018
oregon
*Groan*

Okay, let's break it down:

Small business isn't necessarily capitalism in the context of the OP. Yes, technically it's made possible by an economic system in which capital goods are privately owned. But it has more to do with "free market" than capitalism. It would be more precise to say it's a matter of degree of exploitation we're talking about, but I usually assume most people get the simplification for the sake of argument.

I do maintain that a blacksmith hiring someone to stoke his fire isn't a very good example of capitalism.
IOW, wallmart/ups employees have the exact same right to quit and find a better job as do your employees. Why imply it's somehow different?