How come Republican Congress members don't have any problem peddling Russian propaganda?

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
I've Got Nowhere Else to Go
China holds a HUGE amount of American debt. They would like to ensure they get paid back and we should be concerned they don't call in payment of what we owe them.

Russia? It's to their political and economic advantage to divide the two largest economies in the world, so Russia can then step in and gain more status as a superpower, even not immediately an economic powerhouse.
who's "we"?

i don't think any countries with GDPs the size of Spain's will be becoming superpowers anytime soon. The US's days as a superpower are clearly coming to an end, though, whether you believe the Putin conspiracy theories or not.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
As evidenced by what and evidence sourced from where, by whom?

No doubt the U.S. has interferred in the internal affairs of other nations, covertly and overtly. That's a part of why other nations are doing to us, what we have done to them, but just as they don't sit back and let it happen without resisting it, we shouldn't either.
no one's going to do anything about it or resist it. "we" spend more on espionage, counterespionage, and IT security than any other country in the world by an order of magnitude. if all those billions and billions of dollars spent on security couldn't keep putin from upending our elections, it must be because securing our elections isn't a high priority and all that money's going to something else.

Sep 2016
My own world
I can't speak for all the "trumpians" but the problem with the russia narrative isn't so much that I don't believe the Russians tried to nose around in American elections but that I rather assume everyone is. After all, we've seen that 12-year-olds can hack voting machines, so it stands to reason that any intelligence service capable of running a Linux computer is having a go at it. I'd think if the "US intelligence community" had wanted to pick a fight with China there's probably some hijinks they could have exploited there too. But china is actually kinda kickass, whereas Russia has a GDP the size of Spain's. much safer bet if you're trying to stir up a xenophobic shitstorm for political purposes.
You assume at the risk of making an ass of yourself. Making a public or private statement of support is not election interference.

The difference is that the Ukraine didn't have what Russia had and still has. Russia has a centralized systemic plan complete with Russian agents living in the US trying to interfere with the actual election on the ground in the US.

Reactions: KnotaFrayed
Sep 2016
My own world
no one's going to do anything about it or resist it. "we" spend more on espionage, counterespionage, and IT security than any other country in the world by an order of magnitude. if all those billions and billions of dollars spent on security couldn't keep putin from upending our elections, it must be because securing our elections isn't a high priority and all that money's going to something else.

Ask Moscow Mitch who refused to take it seriously back in 2015 and is still fighting efforts to get paper ballots as back ups to electoric interference in 2020.

Reactions: KnotaFrayed
Jun 2013
Here
Google Operation Ajax and go from there. If you're curious, which I doubt.
Operation Ajax is something I have discussed for many years as proof of just one reason Iran does not trust America, especially after Reagan ('we will not negotiate with terrorists') sold arms to Iran while there was a ban (instituted by Congress) on selling arms to them. You might also know or be interested to know what the roots of the Taliban in Afghanistan are and how our CIA trained the Mujahideen in Pakistan while the Russians occupied Afghanistan.

Moreover, you might be interested to read my post again, where I said the U.S. has interferred in the internal affairs of other nations, both covertly and overtly. The invasion of Iraq, was one example of overtly, so was Vietnam.

Who is saying that is good, when one considers what doing so does to any credibility we have to tell others to not do it to us? At the same time, we still don't want others to do it to us for the same reasons they don't want us to do it to them. Their doing it to us is not excused by our doing it to them. It still hurts us and the intent is to divide us.

Russia may not be an economic powerhouse, but it would like to be, not just that, but return to the prior superpower status the U.S.S.R once held.

• Love
Reactions: MaryAnne

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Russia may not be an economic powerhouse, but it would like to be, not just that, but return to the prior superpower status the U.S.S.R once held.
I think Russia's return to superpower status is unlikely, and i'm no expert but it feels a bit like the old saw about fighting the last war to think of it that way. but it is definitely true that there is a power struggle going on in syria right now between russia and the US, and it's a part of these resource wars i think you're going to be seeing more and more of in the near to medium term future. it's not really about two competing visions for world stewardship the way the Cold War was, though, it's just a couple of corrupt old has-been governments duking it out for loot.

Russia definitely does seem to be winning this round right now in Syria, though, i'll grant you that. I mean you gotta think about it from their perspective. Syria and Ukraine are all right up in their shit. It'd be like if we were fighting proxy wars with them in Cuba and Central America--which to be fair we sorta are, but our influence (and i'm using this stupid "we" and "our" again) in Eurasia is way stronger than Russia's leverage in the Americas. So man straight up, we are winning like a motherfucker.

[/QUOTE]
Operation Ajax is something I have discussed for many years as proof of just one reason Iran does not trust America, especially after Reagan ('we will not negotiate with terrorists') sold arms to Iran while there was a ban (instituted by Congress) on selling arms to them. You might also know or be interested to know what the roots of the Taliban in Afghanistan are and how our CIA trained the Mujahideen in Pakistan while the Russians occupied Afghanistan.

Moreover, you might be interested to read my post again, where I said the U.S. has interferred in the internal affairs of other nations, both covertly and overtly. The invasion of Iraq, was one example of overtly, so was Vietnam.

Who is saying that is good, when one considers what doing so does to any credibility we have to tell others to not do it to us? At the same time, we still don't want others to do it to us for the same reasons they don't want us to do it to them. Their doing it to us is not excused by our doing it to them. It still hurts us and the intent is to divide us.
I mean it kinda is though. If you muck with other people's elections, you really can't expect them not to muck with yours. It's like anything else, there have to be treaties and agreements, some degree of comity among nations, it can't all be done through espionage and propaganda, the way it is now.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Honorable men don't go on TV for 2 year straight and tell the American people they've got hard evidence of the POTUS committing crimes with Russia knowing full well the entire time he was lying through his rotted out teeth. Honorable men don't make up phony versions of a phone call with nothing incriminating in it to make it appear as if the POTUS was committing crimes. Honorable men don't collude with alt-lefties to frame the President (like the whistleblower) and lie about it.

Facts matter.
Apparently not to you.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Also, his spouse wasn't Secretary of State at the time who the foreign country was trying to swing sweet deals with. To Dems these simple concepts of right and wrong escape them.
Yeah, I agree. Even if the Clintons' conduct was legal, it was appallingly bad judgment.