How Conservatives Can Win Back Young Americans

Blues63

Dec 2014
Mustafa
I do take issue with Shapiro's obvious partiality in his presentation of the left as the extreme fringe of the ideology (thus evoking a hysterical reaction from the reader) and his representation of the right as the more moderate faction (while ignoring the 'Tea Party' element).

That was a little dishonest, but perspicacious individuals will be able to identify the tactic I suppose.

Reactions: 1 person
Jan 2016
Colorado
So now we know...republican old farts love Trump and younger republicans not so much. Trump supporters should all push their walkers aside and read this. ;)

https://www.weeklystandard.com/shapiro-win-back-young-americans
That is a VERY interesting essay. But it goes off the rails towards the end of the essay, where the author is arguing what conservatives should do in regards to the moral failings of Donald Trump, in this paragraph in particular:

First, and most pressingly, with regard to President Trump this means condemning bad behavior. Conservatives should celebrate every victory for their policies earned by President Trump; they should praise him to the skies for them. Conservatives should laugh along with Trump when he correctly attacks phony media coverage. But they should not humor him over his personal failings, proclaim him a David-like figure in the absence of David-like holiness, or shrug off his various imbecilities and vile utterances simply because they like his policies. Young Americans aren’t judging Trump. They’ve already judged him. They’re judging you and determining whether or not they can ever vote for the same candidates you endorse based on whether or not they admire your character. That doesn’t mean Trump can’t win re-election or win over young people. But that requires him to change his character, and it requires us to call on him to do so.

I've got some news for this author: Donald Trump ain't NEVER gonna change his character. He's an old man. At this point in his life, his character is set in stone. And he's a BAD Character. He is NOT a good man. He never will be.

Reactions: 3 people
Oct 2013
USA
I do take issue with Shapiro's obvious partiality in his presentation of the left as the extreme fringe of the ideology (thus evoking a hysterical reaction from the reader) and his representation of the right as the more moderate faction (while ignoring the 'Tea Party' element).

That was a little dishonest, but perspicacious individuals will be able to identify the tactic I suppose.
Party pooper. I see it differently but...
;)

Oct 2013
USA
That is a VERY interesting essay. But it goes off the rails towards the end of the essay, where the author is arguing what conservatives should do in regards to the moral failings of Donald Trump, in this paragraph in particular:

First, and most pressingly, with regard to President Trump this means condemning bad behavior. Conservatives should celebrate every victory for their policies earned by President Trump; they should praise him to the skies for them. Conservatives should laugh along with Trump when he correctly attacks phony media coverage. But they should not humor him over his personal failings, proclaim him a David-like figure in the absence of David-like holiness, or shrug off his various imbecilities and vile utterances simply because they like his policies. Young Americans aren’t judging Trump. They’ve already judged him. They’re judging you and determining whether or not they can ever vote for the same candidates you endorse based on whether or not they admire your character. That doesn’t mean Trump can’t win re-election or win over young people. But that requires him to change his character, and it requires us to call on him to do so.

I've got some news for this author: Donald Trump ain't NEVER gonna change his character. He's an old man. At this point in his life, his character is set in stone. And he's a BAD Character. He is NOT a good man. He never will be.
My guess is younger people won't agree with the writer anyway regarding changing character. I doubt they will or can contort that much.

Crusher

Former Staff
Aug 2011
Heaven Above

I am always curious as to what is "extreme" about the TEA Party? I have been to many rallies. There are only 3 elements they are fighting for.

(1) Lower Taxation
(2) Lower Government Spending
(3) Constitutionality

If those are extreme, then I think we understand the problem with Leftists and not the public in general.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I am always curious as to what is "extreme" about the TEA Party? I have been to many rallies. There are only 3 elements they are fighting for.

(1) Lower Taxation
(3) Constitutionality

If those are extreme, then I think we understand the problem with Leftists and not the public in general.
Well, consider this: You had a Tea Party candidate in Colorado who was saying that bicycles were a sinister United Nations plot to undermine American national sovereignty, a Tea Party candidate in Missouri who said that women had 'special secretions' that would prevent them from getting pregnant when they were raped, a Tea Party candidate in Nevada who advocated financing health care by bartering 'chickens for checkups', a Tea Party candidate in Delaware who had her bees in a bonnet over the pressing national issue of masturbation..............

I mean, if you're gonna talk NUTTY, people are gonna classify you as NUTS.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious

(1) Lower Taxation
(3) Constitutionality

The Tea Party was a fraud. Went to many rallies myself. They didn't care about taxes or government spending before Obama was elected and they didn't care about it after his second term ended either. All they really agreed on wanting to accomplish was to "Impeach the Usurper!"

Anyone who still believes the Tea Party stood for anything other than that is naive and as gullible as a Trump supporter.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Before conservatives can win back young Americans, they need to undo the RINO purge, kick out the extremists, and win back their party. Then they can win the youth.